New Book: Rocket Babe-Dust Storm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verna

Reaction score
It’s here! Rocket Babe - Dust Storm

What do you do when winter weather has most of the country frozen solid? Find a warm place to sit back and read a good book!

Rocket Babe - Dust Storm, is a fun and entertaining read, and what 1950’s B-grade sci-fi might have looked like in the early 1980’s. Our new novel is about the first U.S. space warship to make an interplanetary voyage to defend mankind; circa 1982. The scientific jargon and tone is light and general in nature with just enough tech talk to keep it in focus but not so much you need to be a real rocket scientist to understand the plot.

Jacket synopsis: Beautiful, brilliant and Earth’s best hope for survival – Rocket Babe

1982. After thousands of years of alien abductions and experimentation, mankind finally has the ability to fight back via a covert branch of the U.S. military, the Deep Space Strike Force. Aboard the DSSF Flagship U.S.S. PANDORA, an elite crew of 32 men and one woman has but one mission: eliminate the alien threat to Earth once and for all. But in doing so, much like the mythical Pandora, they discover that once the box has been opened the contents cannot be returned. This time a man opened the box but it will take a beautiful intelligent woman to deal with the horrors to come. Led by Verna Starr, call sign Rocket Babe, the crew of the Pandora will raise a planet wide dust storm on Mars that may spread throughout the solar system and rage for years to come.

For an in depth preview we hope you will all visit us at www.vernarockets.com to see the Photos Of The Month, Fire & Smoke, Rocket Babe - Dust Storm and U.S.S. Pandora pages.

Please consider dropping by to Like, Rocket Babe on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

So where do you get your copy? Rocket Babe – Dust Storm is now available worldwide from Amazon! Go here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Paperback or Kindle!

If you don’t have a Kindle there is a free APP on the listing page for every kind of reader, Mac or pc. It is possible to read short sections of the book on Amazon, where you find the book listing.

See a few attached photos below.

Thanks for reading!!!

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

c1.jpg

3.1.jpg

001.1.jpg

s2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s here! Rocket Babe - Dust Storm

What do you do when winter weather has most of the country frozen solid? Find a warm place to sit back and read a good book!

Rocket Babe - Dust Storm, is a fun and entertaining read, and what 1950’s B-grade sci-fi might have looked like in the early 1980’s. Our new novel is about the first U.S. space warship to make an interplanetary voyage to defend mankind; circa 1982. The scientific jargon and tone is light and general in nature with just enough tech talk to keep it in focus but not so much you need to be a real rocket scientist to understand the plot.

Jacket synopsis: Beautiful, brilliant and Earth’s best hope for survival – Rocket Babe

1982. After thousands of years of alien abductions and experimentation, mankind finally has the ability to fight back via a covert branch of the U.S. military, the Deep Space Strike Force. Aboard the DSSF Flagship U.S.S. PANDORA, an elite crew of 32 men and one woman has but one mission: eliminate the alien threat to Earth once and for all. But in doing so, much like the mythical Pandora, they discover that once the box has been opened the contents cannot be returned. This time a man opened the box but it will take a beautiful intelligent woman to deal with the horrors to come. Led by Verna Starr, call sign Rocket Babe, the crew of the Pandora will raise a planet wide dust storm on Mars that may spread throughout the solar system and rage for years to come.

For an in depth preview we hope you will all visit us at www.vernarockets.com to see the Photos Of The Month, Fire & Smoke, Rocket Babe - Dust Storm and U.S.S. Pandora pages.

Please consider dropping by to Like, Rocket Babe on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

So where do you get your copy? Rocket Babe – Dust Storm is now available worldwide from Amazon! Go here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6 Paperback or Kindle!

If you don’t have a Kindle there is a free APP on the listing page for every kind of reader, Mac or pc. It is possible to read short sections of the book on Amazon, where you find the book listing.

See a few attached photos below.

Thanks for reading!!!

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Spam

It looks cool.

It seems like y'all had some major role in this book but I cannot tell for sure, is that correct? :confused:

Greg

It looks cool.

It seems like y'all had some major role in this book but I cannot tell for sure, is that correct? :confused:

Greg

Hi Greg, yes that's correct. Randy wrote the novel and based many of the characters on friends, family and a even a few fellow flyers/forum members. He used me for the heroine. There are several pages on our site that give details about the book and rockets that can be built and flown already on the market, from David & Evie at Sirius. David and Sirius are part of the storyline too.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Ahhh .... I didn't see Randy's or your name on the cover so it threw me.

Congrats for getting published!

Greg

Not really

Verna is a long time part of our community. She is posting an ad for a book she had something to do with the writing of.

Check out Vernarockets.com and you will see how involved she is in Southeast US rocketry.

I completely agree. Both Vena and Randy are great folks. Each month I look forward to seeing what they have found new and interesting to post on their website. I have already ordered a paperback version of Rocket Babe from Amazon and am anxiously awaiting delivery. Promises to be a great read !

Les

Verna! Welcome back-it's been too long. Classic photo of you on the balcony of the new house. As a diehard SF fan-I will check out the book fer sure! Stay warm!

So I am a slow reader

Well not really, I just have the attention span of a Cocker Spaniel Puppy on Methamphetamine.

Finally finished the book the other night. All in all a good first foray into space opera. By the way Science Fiction Fluff is my genre of choice so this may be a bit skewed. If I have to think about it, I really don't want to read it for pleasure. I feel the same about any movie with Cannes or Sundance mentioned at any time in a review - Ick!

So first of all it is, as I mentioned, Space Opera. That means the science is not all there, there is the requisite heroes (or in this case more specifically heroines), dogfights in space, an alien bad guy you will dislike enough to root for the good guy, and the good guy is going to win in the end (or at least be far enough ahead for book two). It is really obvious that Randy adores Verna and it shows throughout the story. Not a bad thing, in fact I think it is kind of fun. So do I recommend R.B.D.S.? Sure, it is a great feet up, brain in neutral, easy read suitable for a lawn chair and a cool drink in the back yard while waiting for the fourth coat of catalyzed acrylic paint to dry. As I noted this is my kind of entertainment, and if you are looking for Pulitzer Prize literature, it would not be for you. Otherwise if you like the 1950s Heinlein (Starman Jones, etc.) it would be worth a read.

Last edited:
Back