Need some Craigslist advice:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There is a Craigslist seller in my area selling a Phantom 4000 that is already built, but has never been flown. I don't know anything about the seller, but the pictures make it look OK. He wants $125 for the rocket, I offered $100, but he's saying $125 firm. It has launch lugs, but I do not see any rail buttons, and I cannot tell if it has a parachute or not, although that's not really a deal-breaker. Seller claims the rocket is over 4 feet tall... I'm guessing the diameter is 4" and has a 29mm Motor mount.

Having not built it, I cannot be sure if it has been built correctly, although the photos make it look OK. Should I risk $125 to buy this thing? Frankly the rocket looks like an oversized Alpha, nothing fancy. Is it worth $125 for a pre-built (but unknown condition) rocket??

IMO, only if you want it for the NCR nostalgia. You can get new 4" kits for that.
You are correct. A LOC IV is cheaper, even with shipping, than $125, so there's no deal to be had here buying a "pre-owned" rocket.
You're right, there's no value for me unless I can get it at a realistic deal. I've got to talk myself out of this and just say "no".

I see he added some extra photos. There is a chute, but I also see he put the stickers on crooked... Nah, screw it.

If it is the Estes version of NCR, the stock motor mount is 28mm, not 29.
I understand you may need to remove some labels from a standard 29mm motor to get them to fit...
And the 28mm motors Estes used to sell are unobtanium at this time.

Another reason to pass....

People think their junk is made of gold. I'd give 25 for it tops. You could easily clone one as well.

People think their junk is made of gold. I'd give 25 for it tops. You could easily clone one as well.

Agree.

Rocketry is a small niche, and selling on craigslist is smaller still. Seems like FB Marketplace now dominates personal transactions, and this forum's Yard Sale is where you find the best quality rocket stuff and reliable sellers. The guy should have jumped at the $100 offer. He likely won't get another.

Looking at that rear ring, I'd say it wasn't assembled very well which can be a good or a bad thing. Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like it would come apart pretty easily for a rebuild if you're willing to do that. I'm not seeing fillets on the lugs which means there probably aren't fillets on the fins either and the decals look like they were installed by a kid. There is no way I'd chance flying that rocket without going though the entire thing first.

Personally I'd offer him $50 MAX.

Looking at that rear ring, I'd say it wasn't assembled very well which can be a good or a bad thing.

It looks like a kid glued it in there with ice cream and boogers. It may come apart easily for cleanup and reassembly, if you’re an NCR fan. I see a nosecone and parachute in that deal, and not worth the drive for free.

Back