Need help with first scratch built

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robby

Reaction score
Hello!

I have launched a couple of small rockets with my friends.. but all of them were Estes made.

I wanted to scratch build a rocket which will go around 2k feet.. well.. that's my goal =).

Any plans or tips from experienced rocketeers? :smile:

-robby

Do you have rocksim or openrocket? What kind of motor do you plan on launching? Single stage or multiple? For 2k feet on lpr you would probably want to do a min diameter rocket with airfoiled fins. Or as clise as possible to MINDI. I have one that will reach 2200 feet on an E9 (simmed data no payload bay) for mpr you will have a little more room to play with. Best bet is to download openrocket and play around with it and see what you can build to reach your goal... It is very important that you get your weights correct though or your data will be inconclusive. So get the design made then weigh out each part prior to building

Do you have rocksim or openrocket? What kind of motor do you plan on launching? Single stage or multiple? For 2k feet on lpr you would probably want to do a min diameter rocket with airfoiled fins. Or as clise as possible to MINDI. I have one that will reach 2200 feet on an E9 (simmed data no payload bay) for mpr you will have a little more room to play with. Best bet is to download openrocket and play around with it and see what you can build to reach your goal... It is very important that you get your weights correct though or your data will be inconclusive. So get the design made then weigh out each part prior to building

Wow!! Love your P MAN!! can you direct me to a build log? .Also, would you recommend using home made motors ? if so whats the altitude loss i might suffer?
Also

First you need to learn to crawl before you run. Stick to the Estes and Quest motors till you learn a bit more about model rocketry. There is a lot to absorb and if you go to fast all you will get is frustrated and discouraged. Now that said some of the best ways to learn is by doing it your self and trying new things. Scratch building is fun and can be challenging at times, and can help you develop good rocket skills, although you still may want to consider a few more kits under your belt first. Download Open rocket and give some of your ideas a try.

As for the homemade motors I wouldn't try that just yet, there are a few certifications and safety precautions that need to be learned first, If you are serious It will come. You may want to look into some clubs around your area and NAR as well. Good luck in your endeavors and be safe. Remember there are no stupid questions, and most of us are here 24/7.:grin:

TA

Open rocket is a great place to start to check stability before you build.

I have a atomizer that I launched on an e9 that went to 3100 feet. I had a few second of worry that I lost it, but someone spotted it on the way down.

Great question. Atomizer is a kit by mercury engineering.

I did a scratch build. My son built the kit. I mad mine a little shorter with a small avbay for an altimeter. It flys very well.

Seeing as you're new to hobby rocketry I would take it a bit slower, i 100% agree with what has been said above, try a few more complicated kit rockets, or build a smaller scratch build. My first scratch build was for TARC a few years ago and it was a difficult challenge being my first scratchbuild. Luckily i had a great mentor who taught me very well. After I built a decent scratch build for my first time i've slowly worked my way up to the bigger stuff.

Back