My next scratch built/winter project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
Once I get Chub up and running, I'm going to start another project. I bought some Bt-60 and nosecones. I was thinking of making a E powered scratch built like Chub. I'm going to use the Ogive nosecone.I've got the colors picked out already, It's going to look pretty cool. I haven't thought up a name yet, but I'm not worried about that yet. I wanna make as light as possible, so it will go high, even though I'm a low and slow rocketeer. I just wanna see how high I can get it.

Now onto the next topic.....I've been thinking about a winter project and I wanna make a V-2. I'm going to make it all scratch built, no kit bashing either. What would be a good size V-2 for 24mm? 4in.? The only problem I'll run into is how to make the boat tail and nosecone. How could I make them? I don't have a lathe, I wish I did though, but I could use a drill. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Balsa Machining Services (www.balsamachining.com) has balsa V2 nose cones and boat tails available from their stock cones list. I think they have some for the BT-60 tube. They can also make just about anything you want on a custom basis.

My currect scratch projects involve designs for the Estes E9, which means light but draggy (small fields with a 1500 ft limit). I'm getting the cones and transitions I need from BMS. They also have a lot of the old "classic" Estes and Centuri cones if you're into cloning classic kits.

(Just found the item in question in the BMS catalog. Its part number "BMSV@BT1", a V2 boat tail with a bored BT-50 hole. Fits BT-60. The BT-60 V2 nose is "BMS60V2C")

BT-80 based Estes Condor using the currently available Phoenix kit as a nose cone donor. I figure that the biggest challenge will be getting the glider to work, but it may just be getting the whole thing to stay together under boost. Whatever the case, it should look good before the launch. (Having learned the lesson the hard way in the past, I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures before the launch.):eek:

Back