My first motor failure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael L

Random Pixel Generator
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We had our second launch of the season in the Four Corners yesterday. After months of crazy winds we finally had perfect weather to fly. Unfortunately my LOC IV didn't survive the launch so, for now, I'm out of the high power game. The RSO yelled "And Mike says he's going to paint his LOC IV if this launch goes successfully" just before countdown :D :headspinning:

For lack of a better way to describe it, the lip on the aft motor closure (nozzle) that keeps the motor from blowing through the sustainer sheared off.

Still in the case in this image

p796617685-6.jpg

Nozzle

p189901236-6.jpg

I was shooting two cameras at the same time. One with a 600mm lens and one with a 70-200mm lens @200mm. That's why the perspective changes. Frame rate is about one every 10ms for both cameras. All four (redundant dual deploy) ejection charges fire and the chute came out at about 10'. The sustainer bounced off of the pad a few times. The motor case was away from the rest of the rocket. Due to how fast it left the rail I think the motor was a bit hotter than usual. I've flown the same motor part number at most of the launches that I've done with this rocket.

2022 BC (before chaos)

p30568721-6.jpg

p259261573-6.jpg

p475557984-6.jpg

Hey! you forgot something!! These four are spaced 10ms apart and are of the sustainer bouncing.

p345173689-6.jpg

p93824588-6.jpg

p394073845-6.jpg

p161329765-6.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of motor? CTI? AeroTech? Reload or DMS? Also please report this failure properly, this is not to say you haven't; just a reminder so our hobby continues to improve. Thank you for sharing, awesome photos.

Last edited:
CTI I540-15A Pro 38. What exactly is properly? You mean to CTI? Being the first one I'm not sure what I need to do. I reported to the person I bought it from, with photos. He just sent me a warranty form. I kept the parts in case CTI wanted them

CTI I540-15A Pro 38. What exactly is properly? You mean to CTI? Being the first one I'm not sure what I need to do. I reported to the person I bought it from, with photos. He just sent me a warranty form. I kept the parts in case CTI wanted them
Depending on who your dealer is just return warranty paper to dealer and they should take care of it. Where did you buy it?

Depending on who your dealer is just return warranty paper to dealer and they should take care of it. Where did you buy it?
Chris' Rocket Supplies, LLC

I'll add that Chris has already responded and the warranty paper has been returned. I've been buying from Chris for a couple of years. We've talked on the phone and he was very helpful. I hold no ill feelings toward CTI and I will continue to buy from Chris. Stuff happens.

I was very happy with the way the fins held up to being SMASHED into the concrete at high speed. It was my first HP build. It flew arrow straight and the sustainer survived (sort of) a pretty stout smashing.

In the short time that I've been in HP rocketry I've learned that stuff happens. Sometimes I screw up, sometimes stuff doesn't work right. It's always interesting.

I think that motor was hotter than normal. I've flown the I540 at least 4 times before this launch. I have another one that's now waiting on a rocket. :) I sure wish it would have flown. It was supposed to go to 4100' but I think that it would have exceeded that had it held together.

Some visitors to the launch are supposed to have a pretty good video of it. With slo mo even. I'm trying to get my hands on it.

Last edited:
Back