My Eleanor. Estes Black Brant II #1958

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The paint itself with this one actually pretty straightforward. It's those darn stick-on decals and crappy roll pattern diagram in the instructions that make this one a challenge. I ended up looking at the roll pattern diagram from Madcow's manual to make better sense of it. I also had some orange-peel bumpiness with my white, which I was able to sand out, starting with 400 grit and finishing with wet-sanding 1000 grit.

Just wanted to share this before heading out on my trip tomorrow morning. As you can see it's not quite 100% complete, as it needs some silver and I need to track down some vinyl lettering. But you get the idea - 73% downscale of Eleanor, BT-50 based Black Brant II for 18mm motors. I am super excited about this, and will share dimensions, .ork file, and build in its own thread as soon as I have a chance. (Dear Estes R&D..........)

20160203_202638.jpg

One more for size reference next to an Estes Bull Pup and Mini Honest John.

14545605726001345926874.jpg

Looking great! I only hope my 2.6" looks half as good as those once I'm finished with it.

I am pleased to report that Eleanor flew beautifuul yesterday on a C11-5. Video when I get the chance. I feel that she needs to go up at least once on a D before I can say that I conquered this rocket, but it sure felt good to get it in the air and recover successfully!

20160220_133452.jpg

20160220_133441.jpg

... but it sure felt good to get it in the air and recover successfully!
This!

Looks great on the pad!

My Eleanor is the Magnum. After re-building one, I'm afraid to launch it considering my record with multi-stagers is 0-2. It will feel so good to have a successful launch AND recovery. Then I can retire it.

I am pleased to report that Eleanor flew beautifuul yesterday on a C11-5. Video when I get the chance. I feel that she needs to go up at least once on a D before I can say that I conquered this rocket, but it sure felt good to get it in the air and recover successfully!

It was definitely a nice flight on the C11-5, popped the chute right at the top.

Thanks Rich, your flying field is beautiful and huge! I should have just thrown the D12 in; next time I'll do that.

Awesome looking rocket. This is also the same rocket that got me excited about rocketry. FYI, Estes is re-releasing the Black Brant II later this summer

Back