My 5.25" Tube...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
Those big mailing tubes are great, but heavy.

Long story short, I used a 5.25" OD mailing tube as a mandrel.

Wrapped it in wax paper.

Using , ironically, 'ProRoc' brand drywall tape, I dry wrapped the first layer (Right to Left). Taped each end to keep it tight and from unraveling,

Second layer - Using yellow glue, I laid down a very thin layer, as I wrapped in the other direction (Left to Right)

Third layer - same as the second, but changing direction again, back to R to L. Just enough glue to auto-fill the spirals. Zoom in to pic...

The Result?

A 5.25" ID, 19 3/4" long, spiral wrapped, 3 layered, 135 gram tube.

Now, I have the nose cone and the tube, now I need the fins.

Yea, I want a giant cardstock rocket....:eyeroll:

So, what do you think....:grin: -or- :rofl: ?

-

DSCF5413.jpg

DSCF5414.jpg

Same technique we use for making mortar shells! I..never..thot..of..that....:bang::bang::bang:
This could get seriously interesting!

Scotty Dog said:
I tried my hand at doing that, just cuz I could.

Yup, exactly!

I sometimes get razzed; "So much easier to buy tube", or, "You will have to make your own CR's", "No nose cones will fit that".....

All true, but at least half of the fun for me is building rockets!

Yes, the tape (just paper actually, no adhesive) does have the crease down the middle, but isn't that noticeable. While I have not tried any primer or paint, I think it will be easy enough to hide. Heck, I might just clear-coat it as is! Give them no doubt that it is scratch built!

The spirals are surprisingly minimal. Running my fingernail down the tube, I only catch it on a couple of them. The third layer squeezed out an almost perfect amount of glue, chased down with a wet finger - spirals go bye-bye.

Oh, BTW, I am calling this my 'fauxnolic' tube.... :p

Keep the rest of the parts to min. weight, and I bet you could fly that monster on a C11! What did you have in mind for power?

Chad, that is actually what I am curious of, is how small of a motor will get this thing up (safely, of course).

So far, an E18 is about the smallest, but I am still playing with fin designs.

I'll have to go old school and swing test this one. The fold-em-up 3D paper fins probably won't sim well.

If you do put a finish on it, let us know how it works out. I know from drywalling, don't hit the tape with sandpaper. It freys badly and is a real bugger to cover up after

I never thought I would refer to a paper tube as a work of but you sir are an artist! Truely inspiring work.

Em, done? Now when you say "done", do you mean done, or done-done?

If you call a tube, nose cone, and one fin done, then, YES!

So, yea, I've got a few more fins to fold up.

Other than that, and a little bit-o-glue, and the rest of the MMT, YUP! It's done!

I'll be bringing what I have to ECOF tomorrow (Sept.9). Sather, and a few others, would like to see it.

At this point, it makes a very good conversation piece...:blush:

Sorry I've been keeping you guys hanging, I'll try to get back on it.

Em, done? Now when you say "done", do you mean done, or done-done?

If you call a tube, nose cone, and one fin done, then, YES!

So, yea, I've got a few more fins to fold up.

Other than that, and a little bit-o-glue, and the rest of the MMT, YUP! It's done!

I'll be bringing what I have to ECOF tomorrow (Sept.9). Sather, and a few others, would like to see it.

At this point, it makes a very good conversation piece...:blush:

Sorry I've been keeping you guys hanging, I'll try to get back on it.

Cool, I'll have an E18 ready!

Wow ! This is very ,very cool ! Nice work and really a clean, crisp job. I may have to try my hand at this---It could open up a lot of options---WELL DONE!!

Hi Jeff- I'd like to order about 25 feet of tubing and about 10 feet of coupler...that should fly on a "B" motor right??
( I think you've put a positive spin on the title "Wrapper"- go, EZ J, go!)

How easy was it to remove the mailer? I've always had trouble with the friction level between whatever I put down to prevent adhesion between the form and the tube.

The closest I've come to building my own tubes is to take thin wrapping paper tubes and reinforce them with paper:
sstubes.jpg
ssfinished.jpg
Worked out fine for a rocket around 11 feet tall, but would like to be able use a a form exactly for the same reason, wide, lightweight tubes. I've got an 8" sonotube for a yard project that I'd love to use to make some airframes out of first...

totally tubular. I seem to have a roll of that stuff laying around here - consider the idea stolen. Great way to come up with BTs when you're too cheap to buy any (that would be me).

Back