Multitasking- How many rocketry projects at once?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many active rocketry projects simultaneously?

• Multitask? What's that? Just one thing at a time, please

• One major or two minor projects

• Two or more major, but no more

• A couple of major and maybe one minor

• A couple of major and several minor

• A whole bunch of simple or a few minor ones

• One major, one minor, and as many simple ones I can find

• Many of each type

• People tell me "Just finish something! Anything"

Results are only viewable after voting.

brianc

Reaction score
Are you single threaded or a multitasker? How many active rocketry
projects do you typically have going on at the same time?

For this exercise, I'm defining a major project as a HPR build, or a scratch design,
or a skill level 3+ kit. A minor project would be simple repairs to a damaged
rocket, most LPR/MPR sized rockets, building an e-bay or assembling electronics
kits. A simple project would be designing and researching for the next build, or
cleaning cases & organizing the range box, or bulding a LPR skill level 1 kit. Waiting
for paint to dry and browsing TRF doesn't count. :)

I'm a pretty good multitasker, but I have to do it for work. So I tend
to try and simplify when it comes to my active projects. I currently have two
major (1/3 scale IQSY Tomahawk and 7.5" Mega Magg) and just one minor
(SLS Laser-X) project underway.

Since I'm away from home (and children) all week, I pretty much live at the effects studio I work at, i have access to all manner of shop tools that we use here all the time, including wood and metal lathes, fiberglassing facilities, paint spray booth, etc. Ergo I have all manner of projects in the works at the same time. Current projects taking up space under or on my bench are:

USR Sonic 3100 being converted with an electronics bay for dual deployment.

Canadian Arrow (from this past Secret Santa) being converted to an orbital bomber of my own design.

Scratch built Gemini-Titan clone.

Need to put the decals on a Scalekits AMRAAM

Finish the payload section for a Semroc Goliath I'm turning into a video-camera booster.

Fill and paint a Texas Firefly my wife bought me for Christmas.

Need to get the decals on a Semroc Snipehunter.

Ditto for a Microclassics Interceptor.

Finish the instructions for a Pershing II kit I need to get out.

I know I'd never get any of this stuff done at home. But my wife rests assured that I'm not out drinking and chasing skirts when I'm away from home all week....

Al

Originally posted by Rocket Al

Finish the instructions for a Pershing II kit I need to get out.

Any pre-release teaser pics?

Okay, so maybe I voted for the wrong choice, looking at your definitions... I currently have these projects going:
Completing the build of a LOC Forte
Painting an Estes Renegade
Clear coating my AT Cheetah
Clear coating and painting my One-Eyed Jack
Building a camera bay for the One-Eyed Jack
Modifying said camera to fit in the rocket

That's all I can think of right now.
Reed

usually no more than a half dozen rocket projects at any one time but also many many other projects also.

if i spent exactly one hour each day one each of the projects I SHOULD be working on I'd NEVER get any sleep. and probably need to move to a planet with a slower rotational speed. :D

I can't count how many times my friends have told me, "Please, just finish something!" :rolleyes:

Jason

Got my L3 rocket on the bench along with a 22" sintratech saucer and my minnie mag which I am modifying to carry a video camera. I've got a month to finish all three.

The saucer was easy glue in the motor tube and launch lug. The L3 and modifying the mini magg are taking some major fabrication lol.

So 2 majors and a minor. Alot better than last year. I think i had 7 or 8 kits goin at once.

Currently in the planning, buying stage but all these projects will run along simultaniously

1. 3" rocket to bring to LDRS hopefully with camera payload if i can figure that bit of it out. status: rocket designed and parts about to be ordered, however Marcus already has all the bits I need so i'll start this weekend using his stuff.

2. Group (Me, Marcus and possibly others) project of a cluster rocket for LDRS. Status: designed and parts on order, will start in approx 2 weeks when we pick up parts.

3. Group (me and Marcus) project for one of the bowling ball contests at LDRS. Planning stage but hoping to pick up these parts at the same time as the previous projects.

Also Marcus will most likely also be building his own rocket to take so our livingroom will most likely be in workshop mode from this weekend till June, which is the downside to living in Central London, no seperate workshop.

I'm really bad, I tend to only build rockets to a deadline and it's getting harder and harder to build them for UK launches since i can just wait till next month, LDRS and BALLS really forces me to finish things.

Cath

My main builds are R/C planes, but there is typicaly a "good" rocket in between kits. And there's usually a littke kit on the end of the bench while building a wing or fuse or... I need something to do while the glue dries!

As far as builds go, I like to have one larger project going and then one or two modrocs going at the same time. That way I have something to do while epoxy is curing!

For years I fell into 'cne major or two minor projects'. Now I have zero of eaxh type :eek:

I just put the finishing touches on my L3 project, and my latest camera-rocket project is nearing the final stages. Usually, though, I try to stick to one major build-project per year.

Next fall, I may not do any *major* projects... what I do want to build are the booster-stage and active-stabilization components for the smaller rocket, (I never dreamed that I'd consider a 5.5-inch rocket "smaller"... :D ) and a camera-bay for my L3 bird.

Yeah, you needed "One major and a couple of minors". I voted for the "One major OR a couple of minors", but I also could have said "Two major and 1 minor" as another approximation to the truth.

G

Oops, sorry to bump this. I guess somebody voted in the poll but I assumed it was a new thread. :shot:

I think I'm a multi-tasker but in a different way. I have many projects but usually only one in a variety of hobbies! Uncrichie.

Sometimes I'll have two or three going. Usually one or two in the painting stages and building another.

Oops, sorry to bump this. I guess somebody voted in the poll but I assumed it was a new thread.
LOL! I saw this float up in the new posts list, and
said to myself, "that's a kinda goofy question... I'll skip it
until later". Then later tonight, I realize I started the dang thread! :)

Currently building:

1. Scratch built christmas rocket - need to finish before christmas
2. Hawks Hobby Super Trident
3. Fliskits Stingray
4. Bunch of micro maxx that need painting

Just cannot seem to find the time to get out to the shed to work on anything lately!

I'm currently building my L2 LOC Bruiser EXP 4. I have three other projects going too which are clones of estes black hole space probe, estes black brant II, and an original kit estes black diamond.

I have a bunch of LPR rockets going plus two moderate to large MPR.

Multiple projects - can't work on just one!:D

Main one is my build for the EMRR "Design This Spaceship". I am a bit behind on this one due to an accident by my old dog (see the EMRR blog for details).
Unfortunately, we just had to put the old boy to sleep today :cry:

I am also working an Estes Saturn V, Fliskit Thunderbird, Estes Outlander, R2D2, Super Neon and a Nike-Ajax from a now defunct company

Hi all!

I'm constantly building body tubes for FAI competition -- I try to finish one per day, whenever possible. I use the left-over epoxy to work on other projects as I go -- right now a Big Daddy, an Interceptor G, and a 7 motor cluster bird (6x18mm and a 24mm central). I also have an Omega clone ready do go and another BT-80 thing I have to finish, not to mention about 6-8 repairs....

What a mess!

Mikey

Back