Motor retention question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I install an AeroPak retainer ring on my LOC 4" Goblin, should I fill in the z-clip t-nut holes that are in the aft centering ring or still install the t-nuts? Has anyone ever had something go wrong with a retainer ring and ended up going back to using the z-clips on a rocket?

WHY????
The LOC Goblin 'Z' clips are great, cheap, easy, and work.
These also allow use the adapter system for 29, 38 & 54mm motors.

What size motor will you constrain yourself to using the Aeropak retainer???

If I install an AeroPak retainer ring on my LOC 4" Goblin, should I fill in the z-clip t-nut holes that are in the aft centering ring or still install the t-nuts? Has anyone ever had something go wrong with a retainer ring and ended up going back to using the z-clips on a rocket?

You don't need to do anything to those holes. You're not going back.

WHY????
The LOC Goblin 'Z' clips are great, cheap, easy, and work.
These also allow use the adapter system for 29, 38 & 54mm motors.

What size motor will you constrain yourself to using the Aeropak retainer???

How would an Aeropack restrain your motor sizes? You just use an adapter. And why? Because it's quick, easy, and tool-less.

Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up epoxying them and plan to use the AeroPak RA54L. If I end up wanting to fly a 38 or 29 mm, I can buy the adapters needed. The retainer ring seems easier than the z-clips to me. Thanks waltr for bringing up the idea of constraining my motor size choices and jmasterj for pointing out that adapters exist for the AeroPak retainers. There really is a lot for me to learn.

You don't need to do anything to those holes. You're not going back.

How would an Aeropack restrain your motor sizes? You just use an adapter. And why? Because it's quick, easy, and tool-less.
The LOC Goblin kit comes with motor adapters for 38 & 29mm motors.
Why spend more money for Aeropak retainer and adapters when the LOC ones work perfectly.

The LOC Goblin kit comes with motor adapters for 38 & 29mm motors.
Why spend more money for Aeropak retainer and adapters when the LOC ones work perfectly.

Why not friction fit everything? Because retainers are more convenient. A little more money gets you a more convenient retainer in an Aeropack. Those LOC adapters that come with the Goblin only work with a few specific kits, right?

You're not wrong, but everyone has different priorities.

Back