Memorial services for Dr. Jones.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
For anyone who may have attended UTC or known Mike Jones personally who wants to attend.

https://www.gomocs.com/news/2018/7/3/general-dr-mike-jones-memorial-service-set.aspx

The only engineering prof to have talked to students about wrestling tranquized bears into a B-58 Hustler supersonic Air Force bomber because they had to solve a harmonic vibrations problem that destroyed a few airframes and test flight crews during ejection in flight. He talked of being pushed by a pressure difference into a manhole during a Langley windtunnel accidental start. He had a story telling flair about lectures and tests long enough to cover material but not insanely difficult. Some were funny and others were eye opening but they always had a life lesson. He always had expo markers in a bandoleer and considered himself the Rambo of engineering.
He always took any student questions seriously no matter how simple or insignificant the details might have been. Even if it meant drawing the arrows of pin force reactions in statics on the board rather than copy paste a solution as other profs would do.

This prof formed my interest in fluid dynamics which later helped with starting a rocketry program. He brought theoretical, physical, and conceptual understanding to many confused engineering students. His kind words of engineers never quit were motivation to us. We always had to save this Tennessee Jones guy from dying on paper problems with dorky math word problem scenarios and critical thinking. He is remembered by all who met him.

I miss him and I think the other university students and faculty feel similarly. If it wasn’t for Dr. Jones I know I wouldn’t be this close to graduating.

Last edited:
Back