MDRA ESL-185 This coming Weekend.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgreger

Reaction score
Hopefully the weather holds out, G-Dog has reported the corn behind the flight line has been harvested.
Planned flights:
Sam Adams Patriot: H225 then possibly I180 testing the new RRC3 before Dual Deploy at Red Glare
3 Demon Fire: F59W then G88SS
Little John (If I get it in paint before the weekend!): H120RL and maybe H152BS

Thats a possible six flights, thats pushing it, made four last month!

Anyone else coming? What are you flying?

Looks like its going to be very wet, and windy, forecast is calling for 15mph winds. Think I'll pass and stay home and make some homade Chili, freeze it and bring it to RedGlare!

I'm staying home too. Even if there's a crack in the drizzle, the field will have a lot of standing water. Which my rockets find even more often than trees, corn and beans!

Even if the rain were to stop right now Saturday would still be too wet at the sod farm. I might go on Sunday, depending on what the weather does between now and then.

I packed everything into the truck last night, then at 8 AM this morning it was still drizzling, windy, and very low ceiling. So I unpacked everything. :bang:

I hope we have better weather for Red Glare because I need to fly some rockets. Of the last four I built, three have never been flown yet.

We flew for about 2 hours on Saturday before a stray shower came and shut things down.

Sunday we flew the entire day. Ceiling was at about 2500'. The wind was blowing in the long direction of the field so even though you had a little bit of a walk, the trees didn't come into play. The sun actually came out at 4:00.

MDRA Has added two more Launches to the Schedule! November 16-17, and December 14-15 at the Central Sod Farm. I'm guessing if Higgs Farm becomes available then Red Glare will take the place of one of those weekends? Hopefully the weather will cooperate a little more!

apparently the soy beans are still green at higgs and red glare will be after they are harvested....Sunday was a good day i waited until the end of the day to send up my super dx3 which i went duel deployment went well landed about 150 feet from the launch pad! Also robin my girlfriend got her level one sunday !!

Congrats Don and Robin! Glenn said there was another attempt at L1 sunday and failed twice. You guys gonna make the next launch? Im sending my Patriot up on an I180 Skid, and a couple other rockets on various motors including my Leviathan I am repainting on probably a G83 or G118 BlueStreak.

I heard that the corn has been cut at the sod farm, so I'll probably try for my L1 at the sod farm next month instead of waiting for the move the Higgs farm. Either with my Minie-Magg or with my Super DX3 which should also be finished in about another week. That's assuming that there is a vendor selling reloads.

yeah the guy with the failed attempt is my buddy a fin broke off upon landing and the second attempt is hanging in a tree cant even reach it with the big pole technically that launch isnt over yet!

I heard that the corn has been cut at the sod farm, so I'll probably try for my L1 at the sod farm next month instead of waiting for the move the Higgs farm. Either with my Minie-Magg or with my Super DX3 which should also be finished in about another week. That's assuming that there is a vendor selling reloads.

Fly them Both! I just emailed AMW to see if they are coming, if not I'm going to place an order, we can throw your motor in with mine if you'd like. What are you planning on using for your L1?

Edit: Just heard back from Gloria, AMW Will be at both Nov. and Dec. Launches. Said they are expecting a large order today so if there is something in particular you want reserved to contact her! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
The following contains NO specific Red Glare dates..sorry.
(but you already knew this)

We went to the MDRA club meeting last night. As most here know, the first and last monthly launches of our Fall/Winter meet are Red Glare events at a 'large' field(ie, not Central Sod farm)and lately thats been at Higgs farm in Price, MD. Usually our first is in Oct or Nov and the last is March or April. As of last night's meeting, the plan is to *still* follow this format. So, as it stands now, as soon as we move to Higgs farm-be that Nov, Dec, or possibly(who knows at this point) even Jan we will be having Red Glare XV. And, also, the final launch of the 'winter' will still be scheduled as Red Glare XVI ! So, theoretically, we could be having two Red Glare events that only 3 or 4 months apart. Just what months these will be is still largely up to Nature. I suppose the BOD could vote to change this scenario if they saw fit but as of last night, this is the plan.

Also, for MDRA members who were at last weekends launch, you saw a rather large(by sod farm standards) rocket that was waiting for a 4,000+ foot ceiling to open up, and alas,it never materialized. That project is a sort of joint venture between a member of our club(I apologize but I cannot recall his name- I am so lousy with names) and a firm in the Phoenix,AZ area and involves using a directional ram air chute to land the rocket at a predetermined GPS location. Im not sure of all the technical details, but I believe the coordinates are programmed into the onboard system which then uses servos to control the chute once the recovery portion of the flight begins. I am not sure if there in a manual( remote control) backup system or not. Anyway.... as I said, the low clouds got in the way last weekend but they have tentatively rescheduled their flight
for our December launch. I am definitely still looking forward to this flight. Should be something to see.

After all the walking i did to recover robins rocket sunday being able to land specifically in one location sounds awesome! Sign me up for a prototype!!

Fly them Both! I just emailed AMW to see if they are coming, if not I'm going to place an order, we can throw your motor in with mine if you'd like. What are you planning on using for your L1?

Edit: Just heard back from Gloria, AMW Will be at both Nov. and Dec. Launches. Said they are expecting a large order today so if there is something in particular you want reserved to contact her! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I probably will fly both of them next month if it's not windy. I think I'll use the Super DX3 for my L1 since it is a lot more stable than the Minie-Magg. Haven't decided on which 38mm CTI reload yet but probably a H225. First I need to put the finished DX-3 on the scale and weigh it so that I can get an accurate sim in OpenRocket. It's still getting painted right now. I would bet that AMW will have a H225 reload in their trailer but if not I'll use something similar.

One problem is that up to now all I have ever used is SU motors. I have never assembled any reloadable motor. I've read that CTI motors are pretty simple but I'd like to watch someone assemble a 38mm CTI motor first to make sure I know what I'm doing before I have to assemble one for for my L1 flight. So I may be looking over your shoulder while you prep your Patriot! I have the CTI 38mm starter set.

Nathan, CTI Reloads are just about as easy as it can get as far as reloads go. An H225 should take it pretty high pretty fast! At 44oz (stock built weight) you're looking at about 2100ft, My Patriot (64oz) Simmed at 1300ft, forgot to put the Alt Two in it on my cert flight but I bet it was pretty close. According to AMWs website they have 2 in stock, Email Gloria and ask her to reserve one for you. Come on over to my plot when you get there and we'll get you all set up.

Last edited:
I got a reply from Gloria. She says that they have plenty of H reloads in stock, they just have not had time to update their website.

Sweet, They are just awesome to deal with! I'll be making a large motor purchase at next months launch. At least 8 29mm, and probably 4-6 3 and 4 Grain 38mm loads. I like to be prepared! Plus I get them now, then I can concentrate on getting my next two builds on track.

Back