MagnaFrame body tubes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you're familiar with PML, but they have phenolic tubes (magna frame has phenolic) and "quantum" tubes that are outstanding. The reason I get mine from them is that they offer slotting, grooving, cutting, and a bunch of different diameters, plus all the extras. Aren't the magna frames considerably heavier?

One thing I learned about cardboard tubes this past weekend from Larry Brand's launch: cardboard tubes don't standup well to black powder charges, they can easily burst! For the high level of craftsmanship I've see in your rockets, I am appalled that you're usng cardboard:y:- did michaelangelo paint on napkins?!

magnaframe is very tough stuff.. does not break like phenolic.....very light weight tooo. i have a talon 2 made from it, come in balistic from 3000 ft, stuck nose first walked over, pulled it out by the the shock cord and a little kicking.... reloaded it with another motor , flew just fine no damage

Last edited:
What happened? Well, besides the black powder/tube burst?

Not EXACTLY sure, but he said something about a tight coupler and glue. I managed to take a pic of it in flight. He was very pleased that he had successfully launched a finless tube rocket with long tubes.

larry.jpg

Definitely looks like one of his. I can see the parasitic altimeter pod taped to the side but the fin tubes are much longer than what he normally uses.

Please give him my regards. I have built many tube fin rockets based on his designs as published on EMRR but there was a lot of "by guess and by gosh" involved as the measurements weren't always included.

View attachment 83357

Here's my "Super-Duper Neon 29" from his article in Sport Rocketry. Not a converted Estes kit, it's all heavy duty LOC components and routinely flies on big G motors. Haven't had the opportunity to boost on H motors yet.

View attachment 83356

Not sure if you're familiar with PML, but they have phenolic tubes (magna frame has phenolic) and "quantum" tubes that are outstanding. The reason I get mine from them is that they offer slotting, grooving, cutting, and a bunch of different diameters, plus all the extras. Aren't the magna frames considerably heavier?

One thing I learned about cardboard tubes this past weekend from Larry Brand's launch: cardboard tubes don't standup well to black powder charges, they can easily burst! For the high level of craftsmanship I've see in your rockets, I am appalled that you're usng cardboard:y:- did michaelangelo paint on napkins?!

I've only ever used cardboard tubes in all my builds. The only problems I've had were a lawn dart and two minor zippers, none of which were the fault of the cardboard. I've never used phenolic nor blue tube. I'd never heard of Giant Leap's MagnaFrame tubes, and am curious about them. They are pricey, though.

magnaframe is very tough stuff.. does not break like phenolic.....very light weight tooo. i have a talon 2 made from it, come in balistic from 3000 ft, stuck nose first walked over, pulled it out by the the shock cord and a little kicking.... reloaded it with another motor , flew just fine no damage

It might be something for me to look closer at.

How hard is it to cut? Does it take standard size nose cones?

Andrew

How hard is it to cut? Does it take standard size nose cones?

Andrew

According to Giant Leap, it cannot be cut with an Xacto knife. It has to be cut with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel, and I'm assuming the length can be cut with a miter saw. The 3" is actually 3.1" OD, the same as LOC tubes and nose cones.

Were you flying off a Dry Lake Bed??? In July :y: :surprised: ???
If that survives... well... I'll use it for more of my builds for sure!!! :wink: :cheers:

Just havin' some fun... :wink:

a cow pasture in texas that had been in drought conditions since last year. we had a little rain the week before the launch but it had dried up pretty good. i will take a picture later and show you the perfect line in the paint..

Jim I dont know about magnaframe but I do like Blue Tube.I cut fin slots with dremel cut-off wheel and tube length with Miter saw. I love the stuff. Here's a lawn dart I had come down from about 2000 ft. Just pulled it out and knocked out the 12" of dirt packed inside. Good as new!Lawndart (11-14-2010 8-32 PM).png

Jim I dont know about magnaframe but I do like Blue Tube.I cut fin slots with dremel cut-off wheel and tube length with Miter saw. I love the stuff. Here's a lawn dart I had come down from about 2000 ft. Just pulled it out and knocked out the 12" of dirt packed inside. Good as new!View attachment 83655

Now THAT'S a core sample!

I fly a lot of cardboard airframes and they don't burst easily. If the nose is too tight, and the charge is too big, or other problems occur - sure they can rupture. I've blown centrifugure vials through phenolic when I didn't pay attention to what I was doing. No material is magic and best for everyone. Cardboard is cheap, light, easy to repair, and flexs without cracking... not bad for my needs.
But the subject of this thread is Magnaframe - something I am curious about.

Manga frame is great stuff. I like it a little better than blue tube. They are very similar in properties.

Back