Madcow 5.5" Nike Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I have a fleet of flapper wheels, sanding drums, a rack of batteries for the Ryobi 18v drill, etc. You rarely need them but buy a basket full of that stuff from Harbor Freight. It's cheap stuff but you'll be glad you have it.
I did not mean to disparage MadCow or anyone manufacturer but in all the years with different kit builders plus buying different tubes and nose comes, yeah I grind and sand a lot of them.
I have every flapper wheel known to mankind! I have bit extensions to get me up inside a rocket, sometimes for repairs. I live for it. If it fits, you can quit.

Let me know how your coupler fits the interstage and how well those CR fit it also....mine coupler not even close and CR's for interstage loose as hell, can't use as is.
If just mine I'll make new one, if others have issue, I'll contact Madcow
Anyone who get one of these please check fit and report here.

I picked mine up on the weekend and had no fit problems. The I/S coupler fits like a glove and so do the CRs that go inside it. I ordered a couple of extra coupler CRs and those fit perfectly as well. (I'm going to set the I/S up the same way you setup your smaller one)

Fin slots were tight but only needed a minute of filing to open them up. The only other sanding I had to do was on the booster CRs, they were too tight but a couple of minutes with sandpaper and now everything is ready to go.

Now I'm making my my McMaster-Carr order for all the hardware I need for this and some other rockets.

cheers - mark

I am considering replacing the short motor tubes with 20-inch motor tubes to accommodate larger motors. Any thoughts on using fiberglass motor tubes vs phenolic?

I am considering replacing the short motor tubes with 20-inch motor tubes to accommodate larger motors. Any thoughts on using fiberglass motor tubes vs phenolic?

No need to replace them, your motor can extend past the end of the motor tube. Making them longer just adds extra weight where you don't want it.

No need to replace them, your motor can extend past the end of the motor tube. Making them longer just adds extra weight where you don't want it.
Good to know! This is my first fiberglass kit. Has anyone had any issue with a fiberglass motor tube standing up to the heat?

Good to know! This is my first fiberglass kit. Has anyone had any issue with a fiberglass motor tube standing up to the heat?
FYI: G12 tubing is cured in an oven.
second note: TMT / NAR cert testing requires motors not to exceed 200 C.

JD

Absolutely no reason to put in longer motor tubes. It's just there to center the motor, unlike estes which have a motor block and thrust is transfered to the forward end of the motor tube. In high power this is all accomplished, including retention, on the aft end. All you do by adding longer motor tubes is to increase aft weight and mess up cp/cg.

Got my kit 2 days ago. White booster and interstage transition, all else natural fiberglass. Interstage transition fits the 5.5" and 3" tubes perfectly and all other couplers are a nice slide fit . Haven't opened the fins or CRs yet.

Last edited:
Back