LUNAR's last ever Moffett Field launch is tomorrow! March 19!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
Is anyone going to the LUNAR launch tomorrow, March 19?

My understanding is that this is the final LUNAR launch at the NASA Ames facility at Moffett Field. It's sad we are losing this field. When I got back into rocketry 3 years ago, the LUNAR club launches were a big part of sparking my interest in moving beyond local schoolyard launches on A, B, and C motors. Moffett was also where I got to meet a lot of my TRF friends in person for the first time. And it has just been a very cool place to fly rockets --- for one thing, it's a NASA facility (how cool is it to fly rockets at a NASA facility!), there are a lot of interesting historic buildings and planes on the base, and you often get to see some really interesting aircraft taking off or landing. I'm going to miss this place.

I'm definitely planning on attending, and I hope to see some of my rocket buddies there!

I really wish I could make it but the kids have basketball tryouts tomorrow morning. :(

I really wish I could make it but the kids have basketball tryouts tomorrow morning. :(

That's too bad, but good luck at tryouts. I understand about conflicts. I have conflicts looming for almost every launch coming up until fall, including Dairy Aire and LDRS! There is a chance if LUNAR has an April launch, I might be able to make it, but things are going to be very busy, and it doesn't look good.

That stinks. Why air they losing the field?

The facility is being leased out to Google, and they need to increase their commercial operations on the field. I don't blame them, but it is unfortunate. The site was great as a nice central location for people all over the Bay Area, plus a certain coolness factor. But it also had certain drawbacks --- concrete landing surface, no food allowed, no shade canopies allowed, no vendor allowed, 1,000 foot ceiling... Hopefully they can find a new suitable site, and hopefully it won't have these same shortcomings. It will probably take some time and effort to find a replacement.

It would be cool if you could launch from Alcatraz, with all rockets required to have float PODS attached. Are they turning all the salt flats into wet lands? Where else could you launch in the Bay Area? Too many cloaked Klingon ships in Golden Gate Park. Maybe you could take a U2 flight and scope out the entire Bay Area:)

I'm looking at my motor selection, and I don't have a lot for Moffett --- most of them are better for Snow Ranch. If anyone has some single-use AT G motors in the higher thrust ranges (G77, G78, G79, G80) with 4 second delays, that would be perfect for my G-Force, and I'd be willing to buy or trade. I've got one G79-4, so that will work. And I've got one G40-4 --- but last time I used a G40, the rocket went into cruise missile mode, which was very exciting, but not exactly what I was looking for.

I'll bring the G-Force and my Trajector with some E16 motors. Unfortunately, I currently do not have any other rockets or motors for use at Moffett!

I'm looking at my motor selection, and I don't have a lot for Moffett --- most of them are better for Snow Ranch. If anyone has some single-use AT G motors in the higher thrust ranges (G77, G78, G79, G80) with 4 second delays, that would be perfect for my G-Force, and I'd be willing to buy or trade. I've got one G79-4, so that will work. And I've got one G40-4 --- but last time I used a G40, the rocket went into cruise missile mode, which was very exciting, but not exactly what I was looking for.

I'll bring the G-Force and my Trajector with some E16 motors. Unfortunately, I currently do not have any other rockets or motors for use at Moffett!

See you at the launch! Unfortunately I don't have anything really suited to Moffett for the G-force (G74-6 SU and G76-10 reloads, and some CTI, but all more than 80N thrust). G79 should be nice, but the G40 was a bit scary last time!

It should be a nice launch, although I'm definitely sad to see Moffett go. In addition to a bunch of TARC flights, I'm flying my Crayon on a G57 with a bunch of electronics (Stratologger handling apogee deploy, A2 or A3, and Chute Release). The Decaffinator may also make an appearance...

Last edited:
The facility is being leased out to Google, and they need to increase their commercial operations on the field. I don't blame them, but it is unfortunate. The site was great as a nice central location for people all over the Bay Area, plus a certain coolness factor. But it also had certain drawbacks --- concrete landing surface, no food allowed, no shade canopies allowed, no vendor allowed, 1,000 foot ceiling... Hopefully they can find a new suitable site, and hopefully it won't have these same shortcomings. It will probably take some time and effort to find a replacement.

I know a lot of people love Moffett, but for me you listed all the reasons I don't care for the place.

I'll dig through my motors and bring whatever I have in the range you are looking for.

I'll dig through my motors and bring whatever I have in the range you are looking for.

Mr G! Comin' through with the G's! The G79 I have loaded up is actually the last of the ones I bought from you a year or so ago. See you at the launch!

The kids and I stayed up too late last night.. we're getting a late start. But we plan to show up for our first ever LUNAR event.
We'll bring a Big Daddy, Maxi Alpha 3 with some D12's and E9's.
I think I've got the chute release figured out on a just finished Mega Der Red Max. Open Rocket sims it below 1000' on a G80-7T. I'll bring that and hope someone can help me point it where it might land on sod rather than concrete.

Turns out maybe that March launch was NOT the last ever LUNAR launch at Moffett. Never say never! Here's an announcement on the LUNAR home page:

Attention: LUNAR has permission to hold up to three more launches at Moffett Federal Airfield (MFA). The proposed dates are 8/20, 9/24, and 10/15. These dates are still tentative, we will be working with the PV Team for finalize the dates and to coordinate the final three launches at MFA.

Back