Low Power Rockets...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clodbuster

Reaction score
Can some LPR's be flown at maybe a fairgrounds just for practice to get the parachute correctly deployed and do some successful launches? I don't want to show up to a launch with a MPR and have the parachute not open or something! What motors and rockets would be legal to fly at a fairgrounds?

Can some LPR's be flown at maybe a fairgrounds just for practice to get the parachute correctly deployed and do some successful launches? I don't want to show up to a launch with a MPR and have the parachute not open or something! What motors and rockets would be legal to fly at a fairgrounds?
Question: Have you looked through any of the material provided in the other threads you started? It seemed like you were asking a lot of questions without fully processing some of the answers, it feels like there’s a disconnect there. I could be wrong but I did want to check.

I’m happy to answer this question too, but I’d like to see that you’re understanding what you’ve been told already before typing some more.

The answer depends on who owns the property and what rules they have for that property.

I read this:
https://www.jcrocket.com/welcome.shtmlI don't quite understand the "laws and regulations". But I think it was saying some rockets can be flown at say a fairgrounds or something along those lines.
I see.

Regulations vary by jurisdiction, you’ll want to check the ones in your municipality, county, and State. Look for some kind of fire code.

If you’re a youth, consider getting a supervising adult to help you look through it. If you’re an adult, consider sending an email to the local fire chief and maybe that person can walk you through the regs if you’re having trouble.

And as mentioned, the property owner should be given an opportunity to weigh in too.

Often it’s simpler to make the trek out to a club range than go to this trouble, especially if you’re new to rocketry.

Go back to this one: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/hi-newbie-here-from-colorado.184200/#post-2535060

@Daddyisabar is a pretty reliable source for information about Colorado. I think the best way to proceed anywhere these days is to get permission from the landowner before proceeding. Especially in states with high fire risk. I used to be a staunch "easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" kinda guy but not anymore.
As far as parachute deployment goes there are few things better than taking advantage of the club knowledge and assistance. But no worries, sometimes the best laid plans... it's happed to all if us.
My best 2 cent tips: Replace plastic with nylon where feasible. If using plastic, get some baby powder and just impregnate those suckers. Don't pack the chute before hand, air 'um out and pack before the flight.

John Cokers videos are too advanced for me. I don't want to do HPR for a long time even though I said I might. I would like to someday get into MPR at some point but not sure I want to go past that. That's ok right?

Can some LPR's be flown at maybe a fairgrounds just for practice to get the parachute correctly deployed and do some successful launches? I don't want to show up to a launch with a MPR...
At the risk of stating something you already know, launches generally have LPRs as well as the bigger rockets. Even if you can't find somewhere to fly on your own you can still practice with LPR before bringing an MPR.

Even experienced rocketeers have problems sometimes. We have a lot of beginners come to our club launches- some have problems and some do well. Bring your rockets to a club launch and join in, if you have significant problems you ca find someone to help you.
I've seen a few people on youtube who launch in various types of property. Sometimes you can launch on school grounds, sometimes on large vacant lots. We launch on some unimproved property owned by a city parks department. We have city approval but occasionally neighbors call the police and they show up to see what we are doing. If you just try to use some vacant property you might get asked to leave. It's much safer with an established club.
If you look at kits somewhere like Apogee where they have recommended motors and show the altitude of each one you can determine what you can get away with on a small launch field. A rocket that only goes 200' can be launched on a calm day from a small field.

Legal is a relative term depending on where you located. As for flying in small parks or fair grounds, yes there are any number of rockets you could build and fly successfully in small spaces.

A few that come to mind.

- Alpha III on an A8-3 motor.
- Baby Bertha on an A8-3 motor,
- Big Bertha on a B4-2.
- Big Daddy on a C11-3.

Flown on a calm day these typically land within 100ft of the pad for me. Of course this all has to do with wind and how you angle the rod.

Last edited:
The last time I flew a low power rocket (an Estes Hi-Flier XL on a D engine) at Dry Creek Park in Longmont was September 16, 2021. At that time, I had a valid permit from the Longmont Fire Department, but they are no longer handling that and referred me to the Longmont Parks department. I haven't yet checked with the Parks department. However, my wife and I have been flying low-power and mid-power rockets since that time with various clubs around Colorado. The closest club launch that flies on a regular basis is C.R.A.S.H. flying just to the east of Fort Lupton, Colorado. They have launches on the 1st Sunday and the 3rd Saturday of each month, from 9am to 1pm, year around. They focus a lot on cub scout groups and young people in general, with a lot of low and mid-power flights, but they usually have a few high-power rockets launched as well. Check their website at http://www.crashonline.org/ for more information and details about how to get there.

Here are a few more small field rockets, these can be flown between 100-300 altitude with small engines.
Black barant 2 A8-3 or B6-4
Black barant 3 A8-3
Bull pup A8-3 or B6-4
Patroit A8-3 or B6-4
Nike X A8-3 or B6-4
tigres A8-3
All the above will go higher an the package will tell you the max motor size an alt.

I never liked the looks of the short fat rockets, but it seemed everyone had one. Ran across an old Estes Red Flair at the hobby shop an got it. Pretty much a snap together rocket with plastic fins an no paint required. I have been flying the mess out of that thing on D12-3 motors to 500 feet. I love that little rocket. It should be against the law to have that much fun with a short fat rocket. I feel very lucky to have permission to fly in a 25 acre hay field behind my house!

Last edited:
A few that come to mind.

- Alpha III on an A8-3 motor.
- Baby Bertha on an A8-3 motor,
- Big Bertha on a B4-2.
- Big Daddy on a C11-3.

Flown on a calm day these typically land within 100ft of the pad for me. Of course this all has to do with wind and how you angle the rod.

These are typical of what we launched from the open yard (100’ x 200’) beside my house as kids. We lost a few, but usually got several flights on one before it disappeared.

If we lived in a neighborhood with a little bit of space like that, it’s what I would have taught my kids to do.

The 1/2A6-2 is one of my favorite engines for small fields. It can fly your favorite small 18mm rockets (Yankee, Extreme, etc) up a mere 100' or so.
I’ve put one in a Phantom (clear plastic Alpha III) and it ejected so low that if the chute had fully deployed, it might have snagged on the launch rod. Fun little motors, comically underpowered in almost everything you out them in.

At 9am it will be 15 degrees. And I would have to leave at 11 for work. Once it gets light out later I can stay till about 12 because I doordash and I need light. It sucks delivering food at night.

Back