low altitude, low cost rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric Va

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a low cost rocket using small engines, tumble recovery. Altitude between 50 - 75 feet.

As a side question, most manufacturers list max altitudes (with largest engine) , is there a site that show max altitude with smallest recommended engine?

Thanks

Estes Mosquito?
Seriously though, I would suggest an Alpha III and then use 1/2A motors if they still sell those in 18mm. Leave out the parachute and just let the nose pop, and that'll be very much like tumble recovery. The problem with the mosquitos is that they just disappear. The Alpha III at least, you'll be able to keep sight of throughout the flight and recovery.

Low cost? Low altitude? Tumble recovery? You can't get much lower cost than a sheet of card stock or bond paper - try Art Applewhite's folder paper saucers and rockets. I can tell you from experience they work way better than you'd imagine - I've used his designs for make and fly workshops with PK thru Jr Hi kids.

http://www.artapplewhite.com/

The Amazon link shows an Indicator but the item is an almost ready to fly Sundancer - sort of a silver and orange stretched Alpha-ish rocket. Good deal for what it is, just doesn't match the picture the vendor used.
This rocket is currently $7 on Amazon, and I think this rocket uses 13mm motors, which are all really cheap.
Here's the Sundancer product page from Hobbylinc https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est2603.htm

Micromaxx saucer is about the lowest anything can go. I'd probably go for a 1/4 A-3 though, a bit less fiddly.

The 1/2 A6 would be more impressive from a woosh-pop perspective.

The Amazon link shows an Indicator but the item is an almost ready to fly Sundancer - sort of a silver and orange stretched Alpha-ish rocket. Good deal for what it is, just doesn't match the picture the vendor used.

Here's the Sundancer product page from Hobbylinc https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est2603.htm

The rocket you get is the Indicator. At least the four in my build pile all showed up as Indicators.

The rocket you get is the Indicator. At least the four in my build pile all showed up as Indicators.

That’s a solid deal - the Indicator is a great small field rocket and fun to build. Last thing I need is more kits but I just might make an exception 😆

Estes Space Corps - Lunar Scout. High-drag, flies on 13mm 1/2A and A motors. Estes estimates 200 ft for A motors using their optimistic math, so a 1/2A3-2T should be perfect. I wouldn’t go smaller than that unless you can guarantee that ejection on the ground will not start a fire (such as by flying on a dry lakebed or sand field).

https://estesrockets.com/products/space-corps-lunar-scout-rocket
The build might be a bit involved but it’s affordable.

Recovery is listed as “featherweight”, which means it ejects the motor but it generally descends slowly in a stable nose-down manner instead of truly tumbling. I’m guessing this should be close enough for you.

And that also suggests the Luna Bug, which is simpler and also actually does come down slowly enough to not be a hazard (unlike 220 Swift/Quark). The little foot pads on the ends of the fins really show it down on descent.

220 Swift and Mosquito both are listed as “tumble” but they don’t. They streamline in every time. At least the Mosquito doesn’t have a sharp pointy nose cone.

Twin Factor! Cheap, looks and flies great, fly as single or two stage on a small field, and mini engines make it cheap to fly.

Mine died in a CATO after probably twenty launches. I bought two to replace it.

And that also suggests the Luna Bug, which is simpler and also actually does come down slowly enough to not be a hazard (unlike 220 Swift/Quark). The little foot pads on the ends of the fins really show it down on descent.

220 Swift and Mosquito both are listed as “tumble” but they don’t. They streamline in every time. At least the Mosquito doesn’t have a sharp pointy nose cone.
The Luna Bug might be a little bit overpowered for these requirements without a MMX conversion.

I think someone has mentioned this already but the Art Applewhite 18mm pyramids are about as low cost low altitude as it gets. Print, cut out the parts, assemble, fly...Unfortunately, they don't last real long even with coating the inside of the MMT with glue. But they are a ton of fun while they last.

How about a cardboard rocket?
8 1/2 x 11, printed on your own colored card stock, takes 24mm motors, flies to 300 ft on an A motor, but you could adapt it to take a 13mm motor, or just scale it down.
This was originally A4, so don't scale to fit an 8 1/2 x 11 when printing.
Instructions in German, but I'm sure you can figure it out. Provide your own chute, or tumble recovery. Just need glue, a shock cord, and a bit of clay as nose weight. Motor is friction fit, but you could rig a paperclip as a motor retainer.

Attachments

• AGM papierenraket.pdf
    150.3 KB · Views: 0
  • instructies AGM papierenraket.pdf
    967.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can’t get much cheaper than this repurposed pot pie pan (I think it was Marie Calandar’s)

I think it meets your flight requirements.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/couple-flights-today-da-bomb-and-late-st-patrick’s-day-saucer.167674/

Estes Mosquito?
Seriously though, I would suggest an Alpha III and then use 1/2A motors if they still sell those in 18mm. Leave out the parachute and just let the nose pop, and that'll be very much like tumble recovery. The problem with the mosquitos is that they just disappear. The Alpha III at least, you'll be able to keep sight of throughout the flight and recovery.
Mosquito isn’t tumble, it is featherweight, like the Quark. Comes in ballistic, but with motor ejected the kinetic energy is low, so safe, I think the ballistic recovery is part of what makes them easy to lose, the go up fast and come down fast.

If you’re up for making something that’s not rocket-shaped, this will meet your low altitude requirement as well as being “low cost” (at least if you have some rocket parts around): https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/halloween-flying-saucer-model-for-little-over-a-dollar.70788/

I was going to suggest that. I fly mine quite a bit, often as "last flight of day" at small field club launches. Probably lucky to get 100ft - more like 75ft - on a C6. Usually lands right beside the pad, once I actually hit the legs of my tripod. Basket was $0.99, rest of parts maybe $1.

And... as we speak, I'm making another with a 24mm mount. It'll do 1st flight this Sunday.

Hans.

For safety reasons, Please remember if you fly saucers to use zero delay (booster) motors.

If you use a delay motor, there is a good chance the ejection charge of the motor will fire AFTER THE ROCKET HITS THE GROUND (and most commonly pointed straight down.)

In dry grass or brush, this is a fire just waiting to happen.

Be safe

Have fun

For safety reasons, Please remember if you fly saucers to use zero delay (booster) motors.

If you use a delay motor, there is a good chance the ejection charge of the motor will fire AFTER THE ROCKET HITS THE GROUND (and most commonly pointed straight down.)

Be safe

Have fun
Although I've used C6-0 in the past, the candy basket does fine with a C6-3 or C5-3. Pops about 1/3 down from apogee. Probably at least a dozen flights with those motors, no issue.

Hans.

The Luna Bug might be a little bit overpowered for these requirements without a MMX conversion.
I think the Luna Bug on a 1/4A3-3T would probably fulfill the requirements.

Be safe

Have fun

Although I've used C6-0 in the past, the candy basket does fine with a C6-3 or C5-3. Pops about 1/3 down from apogee. Probably at least a dozen flights with those motors, no issue.

Hans.
I actually agree with both of these. When we were flying on a dry field, I tried to insist that saucers and their kin be flown only on boosters at our club launches, and that's what I generally use when I fly the spider candy basket (or the snowflake version on D12-0s) but a short delay usually is OK as it does fire on the way down but before landing. No C6-5-s or -7s, though!

Hans.
I am sure you have been successful, but Meconium Happens (of course, it can ALWAYS happen)

I’ve seen saucers weathercock badly, and definitely seen ejection charges go off with saucers already landed.

Maybe I should append my post,

First flights should be zero delay motors (until you are confident in the flight characteristics) and PROVEN saucers may use short delays on non-windy days.

First flights should be zero delay motors (until you are confident in the flight characteristics) and PROVEN saucers may use short delays on non-windy days.

Re: 1st flight. Point taken, I was planning on using a D12-0 on my work-in-progress 24mm candy basket. Meaning - I have no idea what it will do.... But at least it will be on wet mowed grass.

Hans.

Latest posts

Back