Loose motor fit in tube. How do i deal?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
I have been buying LOC tubes for my motor mounts, havent had any problem so far with fit of motor cases into them, the 24, 29 and 38 tubes are perfect, motors slide right in.
Recently I bought a 'grab bag' of tubes including one that was marked as "38mm MMT". Trouble is that I just took it at face value and have it inside one of my rockets.
Now that I come to test fit my 38mm cases that just arrived, the fit into this one tube is a little sloppy and seems that there is about 1/32 space around the motor casing when it is in the tube.

I have had a couple of LPR kits that have had this problem with Estes motors, and all I do with those is wrap with tape until fit is tight, and haven't had a problem.
Is the same approach OK with HPR mounts?

....the fit into this one tube is a little sloppy and seems that there is about 1/32 space around the motor casing when it is in the tube....

Yes, you can tape every motor every time you prep for launch.

However-

If the MMT is really too big (have you checked all your motors/motor cases?) you could fix the problem, or at least reduce it, by rolling a liner sleeve from paper and sliding it inside the MMT. Soak it with CA after it is in place and you have a more permanent shim.

If the MMT is really too big (have you checked all your motors/motor cases?) you could fix the problem, or at least reduce it, by rolling a liner sleeve from paper and sliding it inside the MMT. Soak it with CA after it is in place and you have a more permanent shim.

+1

Later!

--Coop

EXCELLENT idea!!! Thanks - I scavenged around my Estes tube collection and pulled out a BT-80. Cut it down its length and wrapped it around the motor case. Snug fit!!

So, methinks I shall stick to the LOC tubing now..

I don't know how hot these casings get, but won't the heat melt the adhesive of the tape and cause a huge mess? Just wondering cuz i've never done it.

Most of the time, No it won't melt the adhesive it does however make things a little gummy on the case itself. That's just my experience.

Back