Long time modeler, first time poster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott C

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Scott and I'm from central Indiana. Well, after a 15 yr hiatus from rocketry (during the time i was away, i was building/flying RC planes, FPV Planes and RC Cars) and have decided that I'm getting back into rocketry (yet another expensive hobby my wife will love LOL) . When i wasn't on my "break", I was doing a lot of mid power rocketry but this time, i have decided to jump into the HPR world. I already built some Estes rockets to re-freshen my building skills ;) So i ordered a 4" SBR Fusion, 2 eggtimer quantum kits, and a Tbeacon GPS Tracker. I know one of the main suggestions I'll get will be to keep it simple for my level 1 Cert flight (Motor Ejection Charge) which is what i already plan on doing. But i will still have everything set up for dual deploy for testing during the first couple flights.

What would be your suggestions for me on my journey back into rocketry?

Thanks for any info and best wishes!

What would be your suggestions for me on my journey back into rocketry?

First of all, welcome!
Now to answer your question:

#1 - Have fun
#2 - If you want extra camaraderie and advice, start a build thread!
#3 - Don't let #2 to stop you from having #1
#4 - Don't let anyone or anything else stop you from having #1

Wait, did I mention that it's not a hobby if you are not having fun?

a

Welcome! For your cert flight, do you have a club and site picked out? You have your rocket picked out but didn't list the motor. Different clubs have different motor vendors and it's best to invest in the motor vendor you can buy onsite if possible.

Hope to see you at a launch!

This time of year my club occasionally goes over to the ROCI site in Muncie. Check out ROCI or the WSR 703 site to see when launches will be at Muncie; assuming that is close to you.

Welcome! For your cert flight, do you have a club and site picked out? You have your rocket picked out but didn't list the motor. Different clubs have different motor vendors and it's best to invest in the motor vendor you can buy onsite if possible.

Hope to see you at a launch!
There are a couple of sites i have looked at. One is the ROCI and the other is the Indiana Rocketry. Both are about the same drive so either should work but im still monitoring what each club is doing during this time. I'm leaning towards the DMS H135W-14T, then i can slowly work my way into re-loadable's and my dual deployment. But I'm still learning Rocksim so i can get a better estimate on flight parameters.

First of all, welcome!
Now to answer your question:

#1 - Have fun
#2 - If you want extra camaraderie and advice, start a build thread!
#3 - Don't let #2 to stop you from having #1
#4 - Don't let anyone or anything else stop you from having #1

Wait, did I mention that it's not a hobby if you are not having fun?

a
If it ain't fun, then your doing something wrong lol definitely want to document my build.

ROCI during the warm months (NAR club) for up to K motors and 5k ft and Indiana Rocketry in the cold months (TRA club) for all motor classes and 14k ft for HPR. AMOREA in Indy (Lawrence) during the warm months for LPR and almost no drive. Indiana Rocketry is listed as Lafayette but HPR site is to the west near the IL/IN boarder so closer to a 2 hour drive from the Indy area but we'll worth the drive.

Lots of good places and people at all the sites and clubs. DMS motors are a good option for cert flights. I use almost exclusively reloadables because I have more options and cheaper options.

ROCI during the warm months (NAR club) for up to K motors and 5k ft and Indiana Rocketry in the cold months (TRA club) for all motor classes and 14k ft for HPR. AMOREA in Indy (Lawrence) during the warm months for LPR and almost no drive. Indiana Rocketry is listed as Lafayette but HPR site is to the west near the IL/IN boarder so closer to a 2 hour drive from the Indy area but we'll worth the drive.

Lots of good places and people at all the sites and clubs. DMS motors are a good option for cert flights. I use almost exclusively reloadables because I have more options and cheaper options.
Yea i notice IR had 2 different launch sites depending on the year. What's nice is that ROCI, IR (summer launch site), and AMOREA, are all 1 hr from me. But i don't mind a drive as long as it is an event that is a couple days long and i can camp out there. I plan on going to a few launches before having my first flight so that i can talk to others, ask more questions, see how to properly get a rocket ready for inspection and proper procedure on getting a rocket ready for launch. Just want to make sure what i do is safe for me and others. Needless to say, i have been doing a lot of research lately lol

Back