Loki motor retention for 38mm minimum diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcsalem

Reaction score
I'm building a 38mm minimum diameter rocket. I'd like to fly it on Loki's long burn I110 38mm motor. A great motor, btw! I also want to use AT motors.

What would you recommend I use for motor retention? I'd rather not depend on friction fit.

If I was going to fly Aerotech motors only, I'd probably consider using the slimline retainers from Giant Leap. However, I'm not sure whether these are compatible with Loki.

What would you recommend? [Please let me know if you've actually tried your method with the Loki hardware.]

I've also imagined some schemes that involve wrapping wire around the Loki thrust ring and then around a lip that I'd build up at the end of the airframe. However, I'd need to find wire that was heat resistant, flexible and could withstand repeated bending. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

I use AT, Loki, and AMW hardware. I have been using the Aeropac retainers which work with all my cases. Not sure if slimline works on all or not. Hope this helps.

Threaded slimlines work great with Loki. Never tried the snap ring kind, so no guarantees there. I'd recommend Aeropack, but those wouldn't be the best for a minimum diameter model.

Originally posted by Crazyrocket
I use AT, Loki, and AMW hardware. I have been using the Aeropac retainers which work with all my cases. Not sure if slimline works on all or not. Hope this helps.

Just to let you know, Loki 38mm motors will NOT work with the snap ring version of the Slimlines (which is the case with my Giant Leap Thunderbolt 38).

HTH,

Originally posted by lalligood
Just to let you know, Loki 38mm motors will NOT work with the snap ring version of the Slimlines (which is the case with my Giant Leap Thunderbolt 38).

HTH,

Just built mine with an aeropac so I can use the I220 and I315:cool:

Plus it uses the acme fincan so its like the same diameter as the retainer. They are expensive tho...:(

-Jacob

HTH,

Actually they do. You have to glue the motor mount tube in a
little more foward to allow the thrust ring to seat in deeper.
It only takes about 1/4 inch or so and not enough to worry about
if using JB Weld.

I have a rocket with a three 38 mm motor cluster all with
slimline's. Two are snap ring and one a threaded. They were all
made to fit the LOKI cases. That rocket flew with three J 528
LOKI's on it's first flight.

William

Originally posted by WillCarney
Actually they do. You have to glue the motor mount tube in a
little more foward to allow the thrust ring to seat in deeper.
It only takes about 1/4 inch or so and not enough to worry about
if using JB Weld.

Looking at my TB38, I can see where that would work...if I'd known & followed that advice at the time I built it. However, I just built mine & followed the kit & Slimline instructions at the time. (Hindsight provides such a clear vision!) :p

Looking at my TB38, I can see where that would work...if I'd known & followed that advice at the time I built it. However, I just built mine & followed the kit & Slimline instructions at the time. (Hindsight provides such a clear vision!) :p

I did that once or twice as well.

I just took a battery powered dremel and sanded-cut out the
motor mount tube a little just enough for the LOKI case to fit.

Again, you don't need much too fit. If you have plenty of glue
surface with JB Weld you won't have a problem removing just a
little of the motor mount to make the LOKI case fit. I have flown J
motors with no problems. Even the J1001.

William

Note that the position of the thrust ring on Loki 38mm cases was moved slightly toward the aft end to accomodate the Slimline retainers. This change was made more than a year ago. Obviously, there is still older hardware out there, but I have not heard of problems since the change was made.

Back