LOC DOORKNOB - DUAL DEPLOY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been busy finishing up my other two builds so I can get them launched in December, so this project has been sitting to the side for a bit. But I'm starting back up on it.

I took advantage of the Wildman Black Saturday Sale and picked up a PR54 6GXL L1030R motor for it. This will be my first "L" impulse, and the last thing I feel I need to successfully complete before my L3 cert attempt.

Actually, this should go together fairly quickly... Just need to paint the payload section, and finish the av-bay. My plans are to launch this in January, I'm still debating if I'll use the "L" for the first launch, or use a K700.

Last weekend I painted the payload bay - Krylon Banner Red. The can of paint was pretty old, left over from the build of the lower part of this rocket, and I painted it on a humid evening. It doesn't seem to be curing very well at all. Still very tacky.

For the final coat, I picked up a fresh can. In a few more days I'll do a heavy wet sand and then wait another week before attempting to spray the final coat. This IS Krylon we are talking about... Maybe a few hours in the sun this weekend will help it cure.

Last night I got a chance to update my OpenRocket file for this rocket, looks like with the L1030R motor it will reach about 5,400' and hit 540 mph. I'll tweak the final weights when I get a chance to weigh everything, so chances are that simulation will probably end up optimistic once the actual weight is figured in.

image-950212974.jpg

image-3720353006.jpg

Last edited:
I finally finished this project last night and will be flying up in Bunnell tomorrow on a Cesaroni L1030 Red Lightning.

The avbay wiring was really made easy using a dual altimeter wiring kit from doghouse rocketry.

And of course the gratuitous dumb rocket pic.

I'll post more pics and hopefully some video after the flight.ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1399636960.098339.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1399636977.213545.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1399636991.358757.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I modified my Doorknob for dual-deploy this winter as well. Flew it in March for the first dual-deploy flight on a Cesaroni K590 Dual Thrust up to 3860'. Great flight, and glad I changed it over to dual-deploy.

I finally finished this project last night and will be flying up in Bunnell tomorrow on a Cesaroni L1030 Red Lightning.

The avbay wiring was really made easy using a dual altimeter wiring kit from doghouse rocketry.

And of course the gratuitous dumb rocket pic.

I'll post more pics and hopefully some video after the flight.View attachment 171496View attachment 171497View attachment 171498

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Looks great!

The flight was a 100% success! Despite high winds, it flew straight, turned into the wind at the top of its flight and all altimeter events were perfect. Its nice to see the backups fire when the chute is already out - although its wasn't needed, its a good feeling knowing its there just in case.

Pictures and video to come soon.......

Latest posts

Back