Load Cell Resources?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered reaching out to specialized industrial equipment suppliers or manufacturers? I have had great luck with American Scale Supply. They often carry a wide range of load cells, including S-beam types, and might be able to offer competitive pricing or alternative options to fit your budget and specifications.

Additionally, exploring online industrial equipment marketplaces beyond eBay could yield better results. Websites dedicated to industrial equipment sales or forums where professionals discuss testing equipment might be worth exploring.

Regarding the local source you've found, while $175 for a new 1000 lb. 3mV S-beam load cell may seem a bit high initially, it's essential to consider factors like quality. Sometimes, investing a bit more upfront can save you money in the long run by ensuring reliable performance and longevity.

If possible, you could also inquire about any discounts or promotions the local source might offer, especially if you're purchasing multiple units or other related equipment.

Lastly, don't hesitate to ask for recommendations or experiences from others in your industry who have purchased similar equipment. Their insights could help you make a more informed decision.

Best of luck with your search, and I hope you find the perfect S-beam load cell for your new test stand!

A cheap beam type load cell is the Phidgets, available from robotshop.com Don't know accuracy, but good enough for getting thrust curves.
I also built a test stand in 1995. Load cell and amp from Transducer Techniques, A/D from Measuremment Computing, and self written software in Visual Basic 2. Load cell 100 lb. with 13 mm D40 and load cell 5000 lb. with 6" P9000.
D40 lo2.jpg d40d.JPG
Pmotor.jpg P9000.JPG

Since chamber pressure is easier to use for characterizing propellant, and I've found it easier to convert pressure sensor data into the computer data, do you want the load cell to work on nozzle and/or motor efficiency and design?

This is a 2005 thread......... Reactivated.....
But, playing along.....
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/335100968290?
Even back in '05, I'm kind of wondering why go with a load cell instead of just a pressure sensor.

We use just a pressure sensor for characterization, but the nozzles have no expansion cone. They are flat with a sized nozzle convergence cone at 30°. We get great pressure readings with burn times to characterize propellant, but don't have to deal with the high thrust on the test stand. Our test stand is horizontal because it keeps the Ti slag of sparkies from clogging the pressure sensor port in the forward closure like what happens in a vertical stand.

Back