Length of AT 24/40 case?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainRocketeer

Reaction score
I picked up a used RMS case which I assumed was a 24/40 case. It is black annodized, but it has a gold rear closure and a standard RMS front closure, with an ejection charge well and vent hole.

However, without the front or rear closure the case is right at or just barely over 2 5/8" long. The Aerotech catalog shows that the 24/40 case is over 3 inches long without the rear closure.

Does anybody know what case this is? Can somebody with a 24/40 case measure the case without either closure?

My 24/40 case is 2.691 inches long without closures. Overall length with closures is 3.602 inches.

Thank you! I guess this a 24/40 after all. AT must measure the case length from the top of the ejection well/snout. I assumed they would just base the measurement on the case wall length, since that is the only part that varies.

I appreciate your help with the ID.

The dimensions that matter for length are the distance from the top of the motor where it will rest against the motor block to the notched portion of the aft closure that will engage the motor hook if the rocket is equipped with a hook.

Also, since the delay housing in the forward closure is going to extend forward - beyond tha length of an Estes D12 motor - you will need to file down the upper part of the Estes motor hook so it does not interfere with or scrape along the delay housing. The delay housing should fit through a normal 20/50 centering ring which is what is usually used for a motor block (thrust ring).

And, if you have an Estes model set up for the Estes E9 (or E12) motors, then you will use the spacer tube and the delay housing in the forward closire will fit fine. DO USE the spacer as it is necessary to protect the motor tube from the highway flare / cutting torch effect of "delay afterburn".

Latest posts

Back