Launch report, aka Really SLOWWW lift off.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzviper1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from flying at the park.
Sorry no pics or video. Can't work a camera and use the launch controller at the same time.

Took 3, Estes Venus Probe D12 Mod, A-20 Demon clone, and my PII Leviathan.
First Venus probe on a D12-5.
Perfect boost slight arc in to the almost negligible breeze, ejection was just past apogee both chutes deployed and "Paul" stuck the landing.
Glad I changed the booster chute to a 18" from the original 12", it would have dropped like a stone.

Second my A-20 Demon clone on a C6-5 using a Semroc adapter.
Very straight boost guessing about 600 feet very sharp nose down turn ejected about 1.5 sec after apogee perfect recovery.

Last was my Leviathan on an Estes F15-6 BP.
It was awesome. The lift off was dead slow I'm guessing about 400 feet to apogee where she just fell over side ways, and continued to fall like that for about 60 feet.
The ejection charge blew and deployed my new skirt vented chute and she had a nice soft landing, almost no oscillation, a lot of pulsing of the canopy though.

All in all a 3 great flights.

P.S. I could not get the new Estes 9 volt controller to ignite any Estes igniters though it worked fine with the Q2G2s.

Sounds like a great day!

It was cool to hear about the Leviathan. There have been a few threads about whether or not the Estes F15 is suitable for the heavier PSII builder kits like the Leviathan. So it's good to hear about a successful launch with that combo. Most agreed that you would want to build on the lighter side, have little or no wind, use a long rod or rail, and use the 4-second delays.

Sounds like you had good wind conditions. What length of rod or rail did you use? Can you tell us what the rocket weighs? Do you think a 4-second delay would be better?

I love a slow takeoff and long burn as long as everything is stable. It sounded like a great flight.

9 volt ALKALINE is required.

If you use so-called "heavy duty" you are using a nearly worthless carbon-zinc battery and it cannot deliver much current - plus the voltage drops under load.

Sounds like a great day!

It was cool to hear about the Leviathan. There have been a few threads about whether or not the Estes F15 is suitable for the heavier PSII builder kits like the Leviathan. So it's good to hear about a successful launch with that combo. Most agreed that you would want to build on the lighter side, have little or no wind, use a long rod or rail, and use the 4-second delays.

Sounds like you had good wind conditions. What length of rod or rail did you use? Can you tell us what the rocket weighs? Do you think a 4-second delay would be better?

I love a slow takeoff and long burn as long as everything is stable. It sounded like a great flight.

4 foot rod, could not find my 6 footer.
Yes a 4 sec would be perfect.
I have no weighed it yet but i did build with epoxy and used wood glue for the fillets.

Back