Launch Lab Rocketry “KING BOB MINION” Bullet Bobby XXL DELUXE build log

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My KING BOB MINION rocket build log: today I finished last night’s work of laying out the paint scheme in order to make templates for the blue coveralls before the primer goes on. The shoes also arrive tomorrow so I’ll then decide how to use them or what I already have or perhaps a combination of both! I have taken a number of measurements from known points to replicate what I’ve done now after the primer and yellow go on. I left myself pretty precise measurement instructions LOL! A little more glazing putty was added to the tube/CR joint on the bottom and later sanded down with 220 grit. The weather was good enough to also get some painting done! The eyeball plates got painted white, the front frame of the goggles got painted metallic silver and the nosecone got painted in yellow! One of the last instruction steps was to drill a 1/8” pressure/ventilation hole just above the upper rail button and that was completed as well. Finally I wanted the coverall’s pocket to be more than just paint so I made up a paper pattern and used that to trace onto a piece of balsa so the grain runs vertical (easily conforms to the round tube) which was installled with CA glue. I then saturated the balsa with thin CA glue to seal the wood. It was then sanded and a thin layer of glazing putty was then applied, which was sanded smooth a couple of hours later all with 220 grit. Hoping for more decent weather to come so all the painting can be finished up soon! 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1382.jpeg
    IMG_1382.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1379.jpeg
    IMG_1379.jpeg
  • IMG_1378.jpeg
    IMG_1378.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
  • IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
  • IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
  • IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
  • IMG_1371.jpeg
    IMG_1371.jpeg
  • IMG_1354.jpeg
    IMG_1354.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
  • IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
  • IMG_1348.jpeg
    IMG_1348.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
My KING BOB MINION rocket build log: today the first round of primer went on! As expected, that brought out some areas still in need of minor fill work. It’s nice to get this in primer! 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpeg
    IMG_1428.jpeg
My KING BOB MINION rocket build log: well the progress has slowed down due to a new puppy in the house. I’m not sorry about this! 🥰 I got the first round of filler primer sanded down and identified some pinholes which I filled with glazing putty. I’m really happy with the results and the fillets look great. I’ll just need a light secondary primer coat next with a 400 grit wet sand and it’ll be ready for the color coat. 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
  • IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
  • IMG_1445.jpeg
    IMG_1445.jpeg
My KING BOB MINION rocket build log: the spot fill work I did yesterday on the first primer coat has been sanded down. Ready for Primer coat two when the weather improves. 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
  • IMG_1454.jpeg
    IMG_1454.jpeg
My KING BOB MINION rocket build log: I got the second round of primer on the rocket body today. We’ll see tomorrow, after a wet sand with 400 grit sandpaper, if it will require any more fill work and primer. I also got the eyeball base plate painted yellow! 😎🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
  • IMG_1480.jpeg
    IMG_1480.jpeg
The second round of primer I shot earlier today has been wet sanded down with 440 grit sandpaper. The rocket needs no further fill work or primer. It is now ready for the base color coat of yellow! 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
  • IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
Decided to have King Bob looking up getting ready to blast off LOL! Just need to add a vinyl pupils! I’ll be coming up with a drawing of an open mouth, teeth and tongue (likely vinyl) for the completed “expression”. I’m pretty happy with how these are turning out! 🥰🚀🚀🥰

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpeg
    IMG_1489.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
  • IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
Looks like we might go yellow tomorrow so I went ahead and did some thin CA glue reinforcing around the first inch and a quarter or so of the tube (inside) and also the very top edge. Once covered I did a wipe with a paper towel to get excess glue and the gave it a light mist of kicker. Then I did a quick sand over the area with 220 grit sandpaper. I also did some minor detail work along the very top. With the nose cone placed I could see a tiny bit of black from the shoulder of the nosecone so I’ve got it masked off to bring the yellow down on that by about a quarter of an inch. I had the rocket in a different light (much better) to do some masking and realized my finish sanding job wasn’t as good as I thought it was. So numerous areas were re wet sanded with 400 grit. Once that was done I cleaned the entire surface, dried and went on to re-mask a few places. If the weather allows (wind concerns only) I hope to get the yellow base color coat shot tomorrow. 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpeg
    IMG_1499.jpeg
My KING BOB MINION rocket build log: Belo, well the weather cooperated “enough” with me today to get the yellow base coat on the rocket body. I also brought the yellow down from the base of the round on the nosecone a quarter inch down the shoulder as I was seeing a bit of black there when the nose cone is seated. In a week I’ll paint the denim blue coveralls on and paint the rest of the goggles metallic silver. A week after that I’ll finish up the paint with the mostly black fins and lower portion of the tube. Planning on leaving the blue retainer stock blue, but I may decide to paint that black too when I get there. I’m going to be painting some lower yellow eyelids on the eyeballs as soon as I tweak the eyeball fit a little more. Anyway it’s great to see color on this finally! 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpeg
    IMG_1507.jpeg
  • IMG_1508.jpeg
    IMG_1508.jpeg
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
Belo, my KING BOB MINION rocket build log: today it was eyeball day! I trimmed a bit more of the flat base to align the iris’ as much as I could. Then I made a paper pattern using the BT 60 Estes tube cutter guide. That was positioned and taped to one eyeball and using the paper pattern the paint line was drawn over the white. I repeated that on the other eyeball. Using 1/8” and 1/4” automotive vinyl pinstriing tape I marked off the actual paint line for the lower yellow eyelids. The same yellow paint was applied and then both were set aside to dry. I then, after seeing a YouTube video last night on the smaller kit, sanded a chamfer along the inside diameter of the rocket body tube to allow the seam between the nose cone and body tube to get even closer. This nosecone requires masking tape around the shoulder to fit snug into the tube. In keeping with the blue and yellow color scheme I used 5 wraps of blue painters tape to the shoulder of the nose cone. It’s a good snug fit now. The eyeballs had been drying long enough so the masking was removed revealing the lower yellow eyelids. I then applied the black vinyl pupils Lorrena had made for me. I really like how these turned out. Some personality is now coming out of KING BOB! I just need to find the right mouth expression to go along with the eyes. 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpeg
    IMG_1525.jpeg
  • IMG_1526.jpeg
    IMG_1526.jpeg
  • IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
  • IMG_1529.jpeg
    IMG_1529.jpeg
  • IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
  • IMG_1531.jpeg
    IMG_1531.jpeg
  • IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
  • IMG_1540.jpeg
    IMG_1540.jpeg
  • IMG_1541.jpeg
    IMG_1541.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
My KING BOB MINION rocket build log: I wet sanded a yellow paint drip on one of the fins with 400 grit. Then based on the instructions I wrote myself previously I replicated the upper paint lines for the blue coveralls in pencil. I’ll use these lines as guides for the masking tomorrow morning. I plan to shoot the goggles metallic silver first, let dry and move on to the blue coveralls. 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• IMG_1669.jpeg
    IMG_1669.jpeg
  • IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
  • IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
Back