Lakeroadster's Douglas AIR-2 Genie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
This AIR-2 Genie ( 'Air Intercept Rocket') will be my first scale build since I built an Estes Honest John back in 1977.

This is a scratch build, not a kit. I'm not a huge fan of copying another design, but this one is a bit off the beaten path, and what's not to like about an unguided nuke, that launches from a fighter jet.

"The Douglas AIR-2 Genie was an unguided air-to-air rocket with a 1.5 kt W25 nuclear warhead. It was deployed by the United States Air Force (USAF 1957–1985) and Canada (Royal Canadian Air Force 1965–68, Air Command 1968–84) during the Cold War. Production ended in 1962 after over 3,000 were made, with some related training and test derivatives being produced later."

More information here: AIR-2 Genie

Genie Air to Air Missile.jpg 7120323169_4d0aec540f_b.jpg 1024px-Convair_F-106A_Delta_Dart_1.jpg

I created a scale CAD model using the photo below. The rocket is based on a BT-80H for the center tube. Once I had dimensional data, I loaded the geometry into Open Rocket. Not surprisingly OR shows this to be a be a stable bird.

Genie.jpg GENIE Nuke Dwg Sht 1 of 1.jpg 2022-02-17 AIR-2 Genie OR .jpg

2022-02-17 AIR-2 Genie OR Sim.jpg

Last edited:
Now that will be a fun build! I have always loved the Genie…

Fun fact, the F-89 that launched the only live nuclear test of the missile is now on display outside the gate to the Montana ANG base in Great Falls

The fins look complicated......3D printed? Nose cone also curves back to the main tube. 3D printed also?

I'll make the nose cone on our wood lathe, and the fins out of basswood... just as late 1950's God's Of Thrust & Nuclear Destruction intended.

When you fly this, can I be one of the lucky guys standing at ground zero directly below the nuclear blast? It looks like a real hoot!

Here area a few more video's on the MB-1/AIR-2 ‘Genie’.. a.k.a. "The Dumb Dumb", "The Ding Dong" and "The High Card", InCanada it was referred to as "The Blivet".

Last edited:
Here's a drawing based on some Douglas drawings, along with some measurements of museum artifacts by Chris Timm. I published this in "Selected USAF Missiles of the Cold War," which you can find at eRockets, ASP, and ARA Press:

Genie 1-page 06.GIF

The STA numbers indicate distance behind a reference plane just in front of the nose tip (possibly the theoretical tip of the nose if it weren't rounded off).

Fun fact, the F-89 that launched the only live nuclear test of the missile is now on display outside the gate to the Montana ANG base in Great Falls

The pilot who flew that F-89 that launched the only live test of the missile is still with us, currently he is stationed at Area51 where his four arms, three eyes and healthy green glow helps when dealing with "The Aliens".

The basic shape of the Genie looks similar to a LOC Minie Magg. The Genie has a lot of interesting details the Magg does not have, but it seems like maybe you could kitbash something similar from a Magg kit.

The basic shape of the Genie looks similar to a LOC Minie Magg. The Genie has a lot of interesting details the Magg does not have, but it seems like maybe you could kitbash something similar from a Magg kit.

The nose is the issue. The Genie has a Ho-Jo'ish oversized nose cone. Maybe if the Minnie Magg Body Tube could be downsized...

Genie 001.jpg Minnie Mag.jpg

Back