L2 Kevlar Cord Replacement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonsp

Reaction score
I did some deployment testing for my L2 bird earlier, and to my surprise, one of the charges blew the shock cord apart. It was even glowing and smoldering when I came to it, which made me question how much heat this Aerocon kevlar can take. Now in retrospect, I should have protected the cord per CJ's stickied build thread, but now I'm questioning whether I should replace the cord entirely.

To mitigate this problem I will protect the cord from the charges with a nomex blanket and by wrapping the top of the cord in tape. But I'm wondering if I should replace the cord with something with a tighter weave, since I suspect the loose weave is why it blew apart after just 2 charge tests. It's attached at the motor mount, so I would have to mount the cord to a coupler, which would be kind of a pain.

What do you guys think, should I replace the entire cord? Or should I be fine with sufficient protection going forward?

IMG_5506.jpg

Thanks,

dragonsp

Link to product in question please?

Are we sure that is not a fiberglass pull tape?

IMO, replace the entire cord if possible.

That looks like braided nylon line that is used (minus the wire) to pull wires long distances. A buddy gave me many, many feet of that and I removed the small wire. It's strong, but has to be protected from the ejection gases. I've successfully used it but with a Nomex shock cord protector around the first 3 to 6' ft and plenty of dog barf. I now only use it when doing ground testing and have gone to either tubular nylon climbing stuff I get from REI or Kevlar. Sometimes I use the Nomex cord protectors on the nylon. After every flight, my Nomex blankets, shock cord protectors, shock cords all get a soaky bath to wash off the acidic residue from the BP charges.

Back