L.O.C./Precision Lil' Nuke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
The Lil' Nuke is a great kit with which to introduce oneself to mid-power rocketry. Simple good looks and straightforward construction. I've heard some complaints about the lack of through the wall fin construction, but if you build it correctly, TTW won't be missed. It's also a very versatile design. My brother in law converted one to a Big Red Max with very little trouble. He flew DBRM at NARAM 43 and it both loked and performed great. Overall, I can't think of a better place to start climbing out of the low-power ranks.
4.5 out of 5 rating. The only thing I'd consider a flaw is the kits lack of positive motor retention.

well the fact it is missing ttw fins i pretty big if you think about it. bty how long you been in to rocketry

I started in 1977, stopped in 1980, built occasionally through the '80's and got REBORNED (Can you gimme AMEN) again in 1994. I understand the added strength that TTW fins provide, but if you use the right epoxy mix and don't go crazy with the engine selection, the Lil' Nuke fins seem to hold up pretty well. Keep in mind that I'm a low power guy at heart.:D

Well if there is a chanse that it wil land hard or on something hard you mite want to figerglaas the fins on or use the the epoxy fiber mix to make it a lil stronger

Lemme know how it flys when you launch it if oyu havent alredy

The Lil' Nuke was the rocket I sweated over for NARAM 43. It finished surprisingly well, especially considering that I had never worked on anything in that large a scale before. I had painted it black with gold flames and if you saw it from a distance, you'd probably say it looked pretty good. Up close is a different story. I made the flames myself with masking tape, (good quality masking tape,) and learned a little about masking in the process. My brother in law, who bought the Nuke for me, tried to drag race ours together, but his just sat on the pad. Mine flew like a scalded armadillo. (sp? I've never tried to spell that before.) Great flight, not too bad a walk for recovery and several nice comments from the people in the gallery made for a successful entry into mid-power. I'm going to build another one, maybe as an upscale clone of one of my old Estes favorites, but I don't think I'll be launching mid-power exclusively anytime soon. Fun, but a little nerve-wracking.

Hi, I've seen several Lil' Nukes flown and as far as I can see they're "bomb proof" if built correctly. The only thing to keep in mind is that the body tube needs to be "roughed up" with 100 grit sandpaper before epoxying the fins on. I've never seen a lost fin on one of these, even with high impulse reloads and hard landings.

===KGH :)

Back