Krylon Woes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepe Le Pew

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Gents, twice, I have bought Gloss White Krylon ColorMaster at Hobby Lobby and when used, it turns out to be flat>>>>????
This time I also bought a can of clear Gloss, we'll see if it turns out to be satin or not!
Scratching an Arapahoe E. Hope you have better luck.

IMG_2510.jpg

The Arapahoe E is beautiful,,,,,,,,,
Your signature is super cool,,,,,,,,,,
Who penned that?????????

Teddy

Gents, twice, I have bought Gloss White Krylon ColorMaster at Hobby Lobby and when used, it turns out to be flat>>>>????
This time I also bought a can of clear Gloss, we'll see if it turns out to be satin or not!
Scratching an Arapahoe E. Hope you have better luck.

I have 2 Arapahoe rockets. I have the standard BT 55 version and a BT 80 version. I love this design! Now let's talk paint. You got the same results from Krylon that I did. And that's the reason I no longer use it. I bit the bullet on more expensive paint and I've been having great success with the Rustoleum 2X gloss colors. You don't get a glossy finish with Krylon clear, at least I never did. The paint sucks sucks. It compares to watered down whisky.

Now about your signature. A well written quote. Here's one I crafted a really long time ago. Back in the mid 80's I think....

If I try and fail, I seek revenge, to climb the horse and ride again...
But until I learn to hold the reigns, my horse will run in vain."

Hi Teddy, my name is Jose thus my nickname is Pepe. I have a small RC flying wing design on my webpage at www.flycatsfly.com. I have been designing and building R/C models aircraft for 40 years, so I am a true modeler. Pepe le pew is a French skunk, (Skunkworks was a design bureau of Lockheed) So, since I design in my garage, my nickname is Pepe I am a modeler, in french, "Maquettiste", the signature "Le Maquettiste" and the avatar of Pepe le Pew!

I have a slew of paint guns from Devilbiss to Sata, so I will give automotive colors a try, I love using House of Kolor paints and they work great. The fins on my rockets are fiberglass laminated balsa. I'll do a demo for tomorrow and post the process. It eliminates a ton of filling and makes the fins very strong and light!

The signature is a quote from Theodore Roosevelt's speech on April 23, 1910, Citizenship in a Republic. The most famous quote of the same speech is :

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat".
Hope you guys get to fly soon!

Joser

Last edited:
Thank you so much Jose,,,,,,
I enjoyed much your explanation of your avatar,,,,,
and it IS so appropriate........

As well as the rest of the quote from Roosevelt's speech...........

Teddy

Well... I applied the Krylon white. Sanded and applied a second coat. Again, It was less than what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage and ease of sanding. I next applied the Krylon Blue, which had the same effect but to a lesser degree. Again, I sanded down to 1500 and tried a hair-brained idea. I purchased a can of Tree House brand Clear Acrylic Gloss Coating at the same Hobby Lobby and sprayed the Paho down. Wow! The paint came to life, it did not crack , peel or anything crazy. I let dry for 15 minutes and applied a second coat. Voiala! Success, the rocket looks awesome, I will get some pictures in the daylight. The paint came out great and I will try it again on my next project, a BQM-74E Chukar III!

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

Back