Korolev Countdown?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5thDay

Reaction score
I researching (and trusting) details and accounts from the 1950's and 60's USSR's space program. As my Baikonur recreation takes shape, I want to include as many interesting bits as I can. I have actually committed to learning enough spoken Russian to use that during the preflight checks and launch sequence. Probably not a shock to anyone that this is not a simple task. Rather than start a giant thread on "how to research", I would like to confine it to one specific item and based on the discussion it generates; I could start another more informative thread/sticky on research as a topic.

Did Vostok 1 (and/or later flights) feature a countdown?

I had read that Korolev felt countdowns were a silly American idea and was mulling over ways I could do a launch without that fairly basic safety practice. Given that it will only be me and my son handling the launch and any spectators will be far removed or via recorded video I considered sirens, rotating lights or anything could be done specifically to note that peculiarity of the Chief Designer. This made me wonder how events on that morning actually occured as the best I could imagine was once 9:06 was reached a button was pressed and everyone knew it was coming...

Another account however quotes Korolev directly during a countdown talking to Gargarin in substitute of the final numbers but does clearly start with 10, 9, 8, etc.

Specific book or video references are most appreciated as I am aware many of the engineers and officials since then have written accounts. I do find it interesting how many news articles (then and since) specify there was no countdown. That idea itself may be interesting to track down. If it wasn't true I would want to grasp the propaganda appeal for that account being given to the media.

while not using our “5,4,3,2,1” cadence, they did use a T-Minus system, and some traditional launch commands.

According to Rockets and People, Vol 3, p.612 by Boris Chertok (an excellent, though detailed retrospective of the Soviet space program)
Describing a pre-Gagarin launch…

“Upon reaching T-minus 15 minutes, in keeping with Korolevian tradition, a group left the launch site and went down into the bunker; they included Kirillov, Kerimov, Mishin, Shabarov, Dorofeyev (who had come to this launch from Kuybyshev), Dmitriy Kozlov, and his deputy for testing, Mikhail Shum. Ostashev and the vehicle testers were at the console of the 11N6110 station. Kirillov and Shabarov were standing by the periscopes. Site No. 31 now had combat status. The vehicle consoles were manned by officers from a combat missile crew. In terms of their level of discipline and knowledge of the technology, they were already on par with the fire commanders of the launch pad at Site No. 1.
At T-minus 60 seconds, Kirillov began to monitor the rocket through the periscope, as if it might break away from the launch pad early. He dictated the traditional set of commands: “Feed one,” “Key in launch position!,” “Vent,” “Feed two,” “Launch!” After that, the automatic control system was supposed to work according to the timeline for the ignition of all the engines. “

Thank you for that thorough response. I will check my library and see if that book is available via library share.
Already I can imagine using commands in place of numbers to accomplish the same intent (alertness and readiness to all present) as long as an explanation before hand is given to the effect of:

"This is a special launch where instead of 5,4,3,2,1: we are going to launch on the Russian words for "vent", "feed two" and then "launch"

Thanks Worsaer,

I didn't recognize the name when I read the above excerpt. Someone linked that in one of my russian rocket build threads and I have them downloaded but forgot about having done so before I could make time to read them.

Back