Kevlar-wrapped Motor Mount Tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFeller

Reaction score
The cardboard motor mount tube (98mm) didn't seem robust enough for our upscale Dragonfly, so we decided to beef things up a bit. I have some Kevlar "sock" material that has been laying around for the better part of a decade, so I decided to finally put it to use.

After sliding in a couple of scraps of coupler I put three half inch thick discs cut from scrap plywood in each end. A 1/4" SS rod goes through the whole thing to hold it in our homemade rotisserie.

The sock was stretched tight and zip-tie don each end. After saturating the Kevlar with Aeropoxy laminating resin we wrapped it with baking parchment. After the baking parchment we wrapped it tightly with two rolls of electrical tape. The parchment worked great, peeling off effortlessly. There were a couple of small longitudinal lines from where the parchment wrinkled slightly, but it shouldn't matter at all once it is hidden inside the fin can.

To sand the surface we chucked the rod into a drill and spun the tube while running a palm sander over it. This worked really well, in just a few minutes we had the tube looking ready to go.

image.jpg

Overall I am very happy with the results. The ends will get soaked in thin CA, as the Kevlar has a tendency to get fuzzy when cut. I am also going to soak the inside with MinWax sanding sealer to keep the cardboard from absorbing moisture.

image.jpg

[
ATTACH=CONFIG]285476[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 57
Back