John Belkewitch's "Flying Jenny" Estes Rocket Plan No. 21 - circa 1964 -

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this design today. Another cool bird, designed back in the day.

The Flying Jenny Original Scan 001.jpg The Flying Jenny Original Scan 002.jpg
There are a few older threads here on TRF but nothing that I saw that was posted since 2013, and that was an upscaled version.

I uploaded the above plans into CAD, traced the wings and spar, then built a solid model of it, and pulled some dimensions... then created an Open Rocket simulation.

Flying Jenny Dwg Sheet 1 of 3 Rev 00.jpg Flying Jenny Dwg Sheet 2 of 3 Rev 00.jpg Flying Jenny Dwg Sheet 3 of 3 Rev 00.jpg

2022-04-01 Flying Jenny Open Rocket Flight Simulation.png 2022-04-01 Flying Jenny Open Rocket Photo Studio.png 2022-04-01 Flying Jenny Gliding Open Rocket Photo Studio.png

These fly great, and are easy to trim. I've flown away one of this size, as well as the Squirrel works Mega Red Baron kit (got that one back months later).

I got into Estes Rockets in the early 60's from an ad in Boys Life. I didn't have much money so I built scratch out from plans out of Model Rocket News. My folks saved my balsa and parts from those days and in the 90's I built a Flying Jenny from those saved parts and plans (making a copy and cutting out the paper as a template) and flew it 52 times, mostly at the AMOREA launches. It was always a crowd favorite....made lazy circles. It's numbered 12 in the fleet. (All my rockets are numbered and flights recorded.) I repaired it a couple of years ago with a new balsa NC and it flew two more times, but now needs more repairs. The red one, numbered 86, has flown 15 times and it, too, flies well and is a crowd pleaser and still flies at the AMOREA club launches.IMG_20220411_182817310.jpg

Back