Jerry Baumeister Rocket locator, not beeping?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew

Reaction score
So I guess this is a basic electronics quesiont.

I have a breadboard, and put these parts together from these directions:
https://jbgizmo.com/page6.html

If I wire the blinking LED up in parallel with the piezo, the piezo doesn't beep. It only makes a solid, but louder, tone.

If I wire the blinking LED up in series with the piezo, it beeps, but both the light is dimmer and the piezo isn't as loud. I suspect this is because the blinking LED doesn't open entirely up when it's not lit.

I tried the LED backwards, and it smoked. It no longer blinks, now it's just a solid LED :(

Any ideas?

Perhaps I got the wrong part.
blinking LED
piezo speaker

HTML:
If I wire the blinking LED up in parallel with the piezo, the piezo doesn't beep. It only makes a solid, but louder, tone.

normal operation.

HTML:
If I wire the blinking LED up in series with the piezo, it beeps, but both the light is dimmer and the piezo isn't as loud. I suspect this is because the blinking LED doesn't open entirely up when it's not lit.

normal operation, you're splitting the voltage between the LED and the piezo.

HTML:
I tried the LED backwards, and it smoked. It no longer blinks, now it's just a solid LED

Bad idea don't do that.:facepalm:

Everything is working correctly as you have described.
The schematic shows a standard LED in series with the piezo not a blinking type and it's possible the substituted components may not operate as originally designed.

Steve G

love that face-palm. Good thing I bought a couple of extra LEDs. I'm going to go this route for a locater alarm.

But with one of these amazon $10 that should be even easier to tie it in with the parachute cord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back