Is Estes out of the camera rocket business for good?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper Al

Reaction score
As a fan of the long history of Estes' cameras and camera rockets, I am surprised that they seem to have left this area of the market. We are now in the longest gap (2009-2014) without an Estes camera rocket since 1966.

It is true that the DIY camera rocketeer has better options today than ever before. But I would say there is a certain appeal to having a purpose-built kit available, either with an Estes-branded digital flash-memory DVR/video camera (though of course much more usable and tech-modern than was Oracle), or just as a launch platform engineered to integrate well with a camera-producing partner.

My understanding is that the Astrocam program produced one of the most-sold rockets in Estes history. So I am wondering why, with the technology now so much better, smaller, lighter, cheaper, more flexible, Estes is leaving it to DIY only.

For example, how about a PSII-designated digital video 2" nosecone - since E2X seems to be where that line is headed? I think that would generate a lot more interest in PSII E2X, for example, to have E and F powered rockets (with available booster stage) designed to fly cameras, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Even with as cheap as keychain cams are I think it pushes the profit margin too low. It'd sell like crazy sure. If priced right. But at the price they'd have to sell it, not likely.

More likely that a smaller company who would accept less profit/ sell direct would make something.

You would think it would not be an insurmountable production challenge to design a BT-50 (or even adaptable to other tube sizes) video camera module using the guts of the standard keychain cams as the eyepiece.

Heck, you could probably rearrange things to produce a nose cone/module maybe 2-3 inches tall which would contain both a video camera and an altimeter in the same unit for a somewhat reasonable price.

Launch the rocket, recover it, plug the 'smart cone' into a USB port and get an altimeter readout of the entire flight along with a launch-to-landing video file.

Of course it's not real hard for any decently advanced rocketeer to get their own altimeter and keychain cam and rig up their own flight arrangement, but I bet an all-in-one semi-RTF unit would sell well to the kiddies.

You would think it would not be an insurmountable production challenge to design a BT-50 (or even adaptable to other tube sizes) video camera module using the guts of the standard keychain cams as the eyepiece.

Heck, you could probably rearrange things to produce a nose cone/module maybe 2-3 inches tall which would contain both a video camera and an altimeter in the same unit for a somewhat reasonable price.

Launch the rocket, recover it, plug the 'smart cone' into a USB port and get an altimeter readout of the entire flight along with a launch-to-landing video file.

Of course it's not real hard for any decently advanced rocketeer to get their own altimeter and keychain cam and rig up their own flight arrangement, but I bet an all-in-one semi-RTF unit would sell well to the kiddies.

I think that it is a typical thing to do if you have a 3D printer, just keep the electronic and re-design the case....

Back