Interceptor R/A build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
This is a mix of Interceptor, Interceptor II, Interceptor G, and just a touch of Orbital Transport... plus some of my own styling.

It's about a 125% upscale of the Interceptor II, with a slightly more than 125% BT length, and a 29mm mmt.

I'm tentatively calling it the Interceptor R/A (Ramjet Assist). But, I'm thinking of calling it the Interceptor R.A.T. (Ramjet Assisted Takeoff). Which do you think is best? I'm going to have a cartoon superhero rat on the tail fin for a tie-in.

I'm working on the decals at this point.

Interceptor_0014_scrn.jpg

DSC_0002_scrn.jpg

Click the link below and check out all the pics to date.

https://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/Starfire73/Interceptor/

Nice looking model..

Regarding the name- Go with RA. RAT makes no sense b/c ramjets need high velocity to function. It wouldn't work at takeoff speeds.

Originally posted by pdooley
Nice looking model..

Regarding the name- Go with RA. RAT makes no sense b/c ramjets need high velocity to function. It wouldn't work at takeoff speeds.

Dog gone it... there ya' go with all that reality stuff! :)

You are of course correct. I hadn't considered the fact that they don't produce static thrust. I did read up in Wikipedia about the Pluto Project. That was pretty interesting, I didn't know they had developed a nuclear ram jet engine.

Ok, one vote for Interceptor R/A. I agree... if I kept the "T" it certainly couldn't stand for Takeoff.

Ok, here are the four potential names/logos I am mulling over.

Considering that the "T" in R.A.T. will have to mean something other than Takeoff (as originaly planned). Which name and/or logo do you prefer? 1 - 2 - 3 - or 4?

InterceptorRA_Name-Logo.jpg

What ever you call it I like it!

Very nice rocket.

I like the RAT, sounds mean.

It could stand for Ram Augmented Thrust

Radar assist targeting

Rocket augmented thrust

Righteous Alien Tracker

Number 3 is my choice.

yeah, just change the name to ram assited thrust.

Nice looking design so far..

Originally posted by pdooley
Number 3 is my choice.

yeah, just change the name to ram assited thrust.

Nice looking design so far..

Yeah, my son said the same thing. 3 seems to be the favorite so far.

Very nice lloking rocket!!!! Most of my Rockets are fighter style including my HPR's.

Thanks for the comments. I love space plane types myself.

I just finished re-building this X-16 (another favorite of mine), the BT was crunched an all. The only orginal parts are the nose cone and engine hook.

DSCN1974_scrn.jpg

Back