I'm Watching "For All Mankind"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Wow! That's all I can say.
Can you immagine being on the the Mission back then? Intestinal Fortitude at its absolute finest.
It scares me to even Fathom what these Astronauts went through.
Amazing. Abosolutely Amazing!

These Moonwalkers had and have more Intestinal Fortitude than I can even immagine. I'm a Combat Vet, but so are many other Folks.
Walking on the Surface of the Moon! That's just Crazy!!!!
That just blows my Mind!!!
God Bless them Intrepid Explorers!!!!

I'm lovin' this Show.

I'm really starting to enjoy the Idea of People the have the Guts to Fly on Rockets.
I normally just like Rockets and Missiles that carry Warheads, but I'm starting to think that there is a whole other side to it that is way cooler.
It's just new to me, but I like new things, especially if they include the Kind of Bravery that I saw on the Show I watched tonight.

Several years ago, they found the Libery Bell 7, sitting in 16000+ feet of water, and recovered it. It was then sent on a tour around the country. We saw it at a museum in the Oakland hills. They had a mock-up of it that you could sit in. My big ol' beefsteak wouldn't even fit in the seat.

Amazing. Imagine sitting in a capsule not a whole lot bigger than a trash can. There are several toggle switches, and the most advanced piece of equipment at your fingertips... is a wind up timer. Now imagine you're sitting in this thing, on top of what amounts to a modified ballistic missile.

Now light it. :y:

I have no idea how those guys even walked with 'nads that big.

As many of you know, the guy that found Liberty Bell 7, Curt Newport is also a high power rocket guy and flys with MDRA, also out at Black Rock.

National Geographic had a good program on the search, his book "Lost Spacecraft: The Search for Liberty Bell 7 " is a good read.Rockets magazine has covered his Proteus rocket launches in several articles.

Are you watching it on HULU or did you buy the DVD? The DVD is better because you can turn on the commentary and Astronaut identification. That way you can see how they jump around with the different missions.

Another great movie series is the HBO From the Earth to the Moon narrated by Tom Hanks. Twelve DVD set that I bought at Wal Mart for $12.

Found the For All Mankind DVD on Amazon and eBay for $15 when I bought several copies for family and friend Christmas of 2012.

Mike

Lost Moon the Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovel. Way better than any movie and it explains exactly what happens, the intestional foritude you talk about by not just the Astronauts, but the people on the ground trying to get them back safely!

More great books are Men From Earth by Buzz Aldrin, or Carrying the Fire by Michael Collins.

Just a thought for "things that keep you busy" when you're stuck inside cause driving conditions aren't that great...

Mike

I’m surprised there is anything left of the “Liberty Bell 7” too find, those capsules weren’t built from the most durable of materials. Heck there is an old Apollo command module sitting in a museum somewhere and it’s rotting and falling apart just from exposure to AIR.

As far as riding several thousand tons of explosives into the void; there is not enough of anything and everything that could tempt me into doing that and if I had been aboard Apollo 13 when they suffered their little mischief, I’d have curled up in my seat, $*&! myself and gone catatonic.

Those folks had more b@!!s than a Chinese ping-pong tournament. Either that or they were certifiably insane and were just good at hiding it.

Back