I'm looking for a certain very old sci-fi movie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I saw this movie many years ago, I think maybe it came out in the 1950s. This concerns astronauts on a rocket that picks up some sort of monster on another planet. The monster goes through the rocket from level to level chasing the astronauts until finally they reach the top level and open a hatch to suffocate the monster.

It! The Terror From Beyond Space with Marshall Thompson as Colonel Carruthers and Ray “Crash” Corrigan as the monster. It was filmed in 1958. The writer also sued the movie “Alien” for plagiarism. The case settled for an undisclosed amount of money.

Last edited:
It! The Terror From Beyond Space with Marshall Thompson as Colonel Carruthers and Ray “Crash” Corrigan as the monster. It was filmed in 1958. The writer also sued the movie “Alien” for plagiarism. The case settled for an undisclosed amount of money.
Also these “astronauts” were armed like a World War II American heavy combat platoon. They had sidearms, rifles, hand grenades and a bazooka that they used against the creature to no avail inside their own rocket ship as it traveled through space!🪖🚀

Last edited:
Also these “astronauts” were armed like a World War II heavy combat team. They had sidearms, rifles, hand grenades and a bazooka that they used against the creature to no avail inside their own rocket ship as it traveled through space!🚀
Jerome Bixby wrote the original screenplay. Mr. Bixby also wrote several Star Trek Original series screenplays, “Mirror, Mirror “ probably the highest rated of his four screenplays.

That's awesome! Thanks everyone who responded. I'm going to have to watch it.

The backstory- when I grew up my bedroom was behind our bathroom, in my closet there was an access panel in the wall that would allow you to work on the faucets for our bathtub. After watching that movie I had dreams that the monster from the movie would break out into my bedroom through that hatch.

That's awesome! Thanks everyone who responded. I'm going to have to watch it.

The backstory- when I grew up my bedroom was behind our bathroom, in my closet there was an access panel in the wall that would allow you to work on the faucets for our bathtub. After watching that movie I had dreams that the monster from the movie would break out into my bedroom through that hatch.
It’s also on Amazon Video for pretty cheap.

It's interesting in this movie that the two women crewman served the men meals and coffee like waitresses. They acted as nurses when the monster injured someone.

It's interesting in this movie that the two women crewman served the men meals and coffee like waitresses. They acted as nurses when the monster injured someone.
The movie was made in 1958. Men were supposed to protect the women and the women were there to care for the homestead (under the societal norms of the 50s). Even in the 60s you never saw a female security officer armed with a phaser on Star Trek. It just didn’t fit the times.

I am actually impressed with the atomic rocket ship in the movie. It could make it from Earth to Mars and back to Earth fairly quickly, it’s as tough as a bomb proof bunker, compartments get flooded with radiation from the unshielded atomic pile and no one dies because of it, the crew sets off a case full of grenades in the ship’s storeroom and the ship is perfectly fine and the good guys fire a fricking bazooka in their CIC and all the instruments are A-OK! 👍🏿

I must say, though, when the captain of the rescue ship kept calling Ann “chicken”, that always annoyed the hell out of me.

I remember watching that some while back on Amazon I think.
I found it quite lame and I don't remember the ending.
Think I fell asleep before it ended.
I don't know what they new about Space or Space Ships/Rockets back then.
2 years before I came along.
But I think even a child could figure out that there wasn't much realistic about the movie, even for 1958.
Had to be a low budge B (C?) movie.
But that time frame was all about Space and people were so crazed about anything and everything Space related.

Latest posts

Back