IM-99A bottom paint schemes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota196

Reaction score
There so many black schemes out there. Which ones are correct? I am looking for the bottom of the missile. White inner wings, black inner wings, white tips, black tips, black elevators, white elevators? I see there are a huge abundance of top photos, but not too many bottoms. I am looking for the most correct one. I am painting my model in the black scheme. Red radome or bronze/brown/ tan radome? Ugggh!

I studied a lot of photos, and watched the Rocket Aero videos closely and came up with two reliable paint patterns. The wing colors are opposite on the bottom, but the tail colors are the same on the bottom. The radome is an upainted fiberglass resin, which varies (in photos, at least) from tan to brown to reddish brown. A far as I can tell, the USAF markings that are popular appeared on display models and display full-size missiles or mockups, but the black missiles never flew with those markings. There were sever different numbers, of course, but I picked 13 because there were multiple nice photos in my files. I recall that only the Bomark A had the black scheme. I didn't have complete Bomarc B data when I drew this one up, but you can recognizle the B by its ramjets, which were straight cylinders behind the mid-point, without the little "waist" on the ramjets of the A model in my drawing.

Feel free to print out and use this drawing, but my posting here does not constitute permission to repost elsewhere or to publish this drawing.

Attachments

• Bomarc-70-colors.gif
    Bomarc-70-colors.gif
    128.8 KB · Views: 1
Straight tube on the "B"...

According to Peter:
"I didn't have complete Bomarc B data when I drew this one up, but you can recognizle the B by its ramjets, which were straight cylinders behind the mid-point, without the little "waist" on the ramjets of the A model in my drawing."

Not a Bomarc expert by any means, but if I recall correctly, the biggest difference was that the rocket booster in the A model was liquid fueled and the B model used solid propellant. Not exactly an external identifier!

B model:

1690048788568.png

I don't think any of the versions were deployed for active duty in the USA did we? We made these and gave them to Canada if I recall from the Movie Canadian "AVRO Arrow" ; as we didn't want them making that plane. I think some were deployed in UK as well?

The engineers that lost their jobs over the Arrow shutdown moved to the USA and got employed at Boeing If I recall correctly from a sorta documentary on that plane and other googling I did many years ago.

Last edited:
Mugs 914 is correct about my posting the A version. He is also correct that the A using a liquid booster and the B a solid booster. The B was a bit longer, as I recall, and the wings were a bit farther forward. I don't recall all the history, but Operational A's were deployed in the US and operational B's were deployed in Canada. I don't recall about B's in the US and A's in Canada. An interesting bit of trivia is that Pierre Trudeau was the journalist who broke the story that the Bomarc B's in Canada had nuclear warheads, which had not been publicly announced and became a big scandal. That got him into politics, eventually becoming Prime Minister, which eventually led his son to become the current P. M..

Mugs 914 is correct about my posting the A version. He is also correct that the A using a liquid booster and the B a solid booster. The B was a bit longer, as I recall, and the wings were a bit farther forward. I don't recall all the history, but Operational A's were deployed in the US and operational B's were deployed in Canada. I don't recall about B's in the US and A's in Canada. An interesting bit of trivia is that Pierre Trudeau was the journalist who broke the story that the Bomarc B's in Canada had nuclear warheads, which had not been publicly announced and became a big scandal. That got him into politics, eventually becoming Prime Minister, which eventually led his son to become the current P. M..
Now that’s some historical history. Here is my version of it. Mini Bomarc clone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    942.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 0
There so many black schemes out there. Which ones are correct? I am looking for the bottom of the missile. White inner wings, black inner wings, white tips, black tips, black elevators, white elevators? I see there are a huge abundance of top photos, but not too many bottoms. I am looking for the most correct one. I am painting my model in the black scheme. Red radome or bronze/brown/ tan radome? Ugggh!
4581565048_93f8b863a5_o.jpg5762678689_2eea2d42a3_b.jpg9988974394_c13182d1e9_4k.jpg9988983915_c3463f9ee6_4k.jpg9988983724_4432b0a14f_4k.jpg9988985735_376a3ab2e9_4k.jpg9988999445_26469bd910_4k.jpg9988990035_6003fac72e_4k.jpg9989041086_e676de287b_4k.jpgLC-4a-Bomarc-on-Launch-Trailer-2.jpg9989110763_37f1f4a8c9_4k.jpgbomarc_32.jpgBOMARC_A_Surface-to-Air_Missile.jpgUSAF-Bomarc-being-moved.jpg

This image shows a public display missile with the USAF insignia. I haven't found any images of this paint scheme in actual flight, though there are many pictures of Air Force/contractor models in this schemes, as well as diagrams of markings with this scheme. I think I've seen kits with these colors, but as far as I can tell no missile flew in this exact color scheme.
bomarc display.jpeg

Back