How to undo a JB Weld bond?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang, want to move a 38mm Aeropac retainer from a retired rocket to New Bird. Any hints to breaking the JB Weld bond? Thanks.

Heat works very well. I just put a propane flame to it go around it a few times and it pulls right off. Use a pillers to pull it off the retainer heats up very fast.
gp

Oh brother ,I wish I would have heard of this last summer.My brother had his PML Bullpuppy toasted and was a total loss ,except for the aft end ,so he gave it to me and I tossed it.I guess I could have had me a free 38mm Aeropack ......darn.

Thanks for the tip !

Paul T

QUOTE=cvanc;424373]Hey gang, want to move a 38mm Aeropac retainer from a retired rocket to New Bird. Any hints to breaking the JB Weld bond? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Heat seems to work well with the JB KWIK.. However with the regular JB Weld, if you have a even mix and a good cure, the level of heat required to debond is considerably greater. Watch out for heat damage.:eek:

I have never used the Quick JB Weld. I would say 15 sec of the propane and retainer slids off. I have done it at least 5 times.
gp

I have read here that you can cut the motor tube just above the retainer and then use a Dremmel and carefully grind out the left over tube and hardened JB Weld. Never tried it but will when faced with the need.

I have never used the Quick JB Weld. I would say 15 sec of the propane and retainer slids off. I have done it at least 5 times.
gp

That's probably ruining the temper of the retainer, though the loadings are probably not that high. Usually.

My friend's rocket crashed on a K185, and the internal ring that sits against the end of the motor tube got sheared off as the motor case went forward and smashed the GoPro in the bay in front.

In any case, you can cut off the retainer and put it on a lathe, and bore out the JB Weld.

I have read here that you can cut the motor tube just above the retainer and then use a Dremmel and carefully grind out the left over tube and hardened JB Weld. Never tried it but will when faced with the need.

This is the way I've done it a few times. Works well.

I undo the bolts that hold the adjusters in place so they are free to move other than the JB weld, and hope that it cracks and allows the spring plate to move. Worth a try I suppose

I can't find the glass trans temp of JB weld, but it's max operating temp is 500F, and it can go up to 600F for 10mins or so before it starts to trans. If you do use a propane torch you could easily heat the gas to a few thousand F and degrade the bond really quickly. Just be mindful that you're heating a flame on epoxy, and if it vaporizes the gasses would be toxic.

The flame never gets to the expoy. It just heats retainer up fo 10-15 sec. and it slids right off. Toxic you mean like when we all breath in the smoke form our ACPC rocket motors at each launch we all attend.
gp

I can't find the glass trans temp of JB weld, but it's max operating temp is 500F, and it can go up to 600F for 10mins or so before it starts to trans. If you do use a propane torch you could easily heat the gas to a few thousand F and degrade the bond really quickly. Just be mindful that you're heating a flame on epoxy, and if it vaporizes the gasses would be toxic.

This worked for me. I am not sure about doing it with a cardboard rocket.

I've had success removing and recycling AeroPack retainers, by cutting off the motor tube just behind the retainer and soaking
the assembly in white vinegar for at least 24hrs. The vinegar softens the JB Weld. You can then peal out the motor tube and 80%
of the JBW goes with the paper tube. While the JBW is still soft I scrape as much of it off with a Popsicle stick, to get it out of the groves.
When JBW hardens, I repeat the process, again soak the retainer in the vinegar overnight and scrape until the groves are clean.

I've had success removing and recycling AeroPack retainers, by cutting off the motor tube just behind the retainer and soaking
the assembly in white vinegar for at least 24hrs. The vinegar softens the JB Weld. You can then peal out the motor tube and 80%
of the JBW goes with the paper tube. While the JBW is still soft I scrape as much of it off with a Popsicle stick, to get it out of the groves.
When JBW hardens, I repeat the process, again soak the retainer in the vinegar overnight and scrape until the groves are clean.

Hmmmm ,sounds interesting.....I shall have to remember that next time i trash a perfectly good Aeropack retainer.

Thanks for the info !

Paul T

Back