How to measure a parachute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. I have some old parachutes which I'm trying to figure out what size they are. How do you measure them?

I don't believe there is a "definitive" answer. Each manufacture has their own way of measuring their chutes. That is why an X" diameter chute will drop 2 lbs. for one manufacture and 4 lbs. for another, at the same decent rate.

If you are looking to find weight/decent rate charts for those chutes, I would recommend you find what manufacture made it or makes a similar chute and use their dimension definition and decent rate charts. If you are looking to use generic decent rate charts, make sure you know how the chutes are measured and the Cd calculated for those charts, or the answers you get may be way off.

If you really want to dig into parachutes, you can get the Parachute Recovery Systems Design Manual off the DTIC website. Just click the "View the full text of this report" link or search for any keywords. There is an amazing amount of information available there.

I don't believe there is a "definitive" answer. Each manufacture has their own way of measuring their chutes. That is why an X" diameter chute will drop 2 lbs. for one manufacture and 4 lbs. for another, at the same decent rate.

If you are looking to find weight/decent rate charts for those chutes, I would recommend you find what manufacture made it or makes a similar chute and use their dimension definition and decent rate charts. If you are looking to use generic decent rate charts, make sure you know how the chutes are measured and the Cd calculated for those charts, or the answers you get may be way off.

If you really want to dig into parachutes, you can get the Parachute Recovery Systems Design Manual off the DTIC website. Just click the "View the full text of this report" link or search for any keywords. There is an amazing amount of information available there.

Thanks for that. That's helpful information. I suspected there wasn't a standard but just wanted to check.

Latest posts

Back