How many Gs can an Estes Universal mount AstroCam take?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I'd really like to shoot some videos of an upcoming project with an Estes AstroCam using a Universal mount. The rocket has a 54mm body tube. A Warp9 motor gives it a really hard kick in the rear. I'm not worried about the mount staying on the rocket, as much as I'm worried about the camera staying in the mount. I don't think the dinky little rubber bands are going to work. I was thinking of using narrow strips of Gorilla Tape, or possibly wiring the camera into the mount.

I have an astrocam, but I'm not really a big fan of it. I used the mount with the paper strap, and electrical tape to secure it to my estes SLS. While the camera stayed put, and even took a pretty hard landing after a hard pitch over resulted in much lower astronaut, after a few launches with it, the video I got was really choppy and skipped frames, if it wasn't totally corrupted. The audio was also out of sync. I don't know if maybe I got a defective unit, (that seems to happen with a lot of the stuff I get) or if the SD card was rattling around inside of it. Overall I can't say I'd recommend it as I haven't used it after that day. It's definitely a lot more affordable, but at least for me, I'd look at investing a bit more and getting a runcam or something similar

Back