How big a streamer in a 38mm body tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHaase

Reaction score
Hey guys, been looking at going for some big altitude with my Painkiller Micro, and finally stuffing the 6 grain into it. Fairly small rocket, a few thousand feet, what could go wrong?

Anyway, I'm thinking of using a streamer for visibility and to bring it down a bit quicker. I just don't know how big I'll be able to fit. I also want to keep with ripstop, as I could end up deploying with some velocity still going on.
Looking at Top Flight's reinforced Ultra's. Think the 6"x80" would fit? Do I have to go smaller? Could I go bigger?

-Hans

6x 60 will fit, sure. But your descent speed will be faster than what most consider a reasonable landing speed. PK micro is rather heavy for its size--not enough drag in a 6x60 to slow it down much.

My quick estimate would be somewhere between 15"x15' and 21x21. I can see tomorrow what will fit. Suspect 15x15 is as big as you'll be able to cram in there...

Later!

--Coop

Streamers in high power should be regarded as a controlled crash, heads up flight limited to low wind and careful launch angles.

Streamers in high power should be regarded as a controlled crash, heads up flight limited to low wind and careful launch angles.

Nonsense.

HPR can certainly be recovered safely under streamer, provided the streamer is large enough to slow the rocket to an acceptable landing speed.

Later!

--Coop

Nonsense.

HPR can certainly be recovered safely under streamer, provided the streamer is large enough to slow the rocket to an acceptable landing speed.

Later!

--Coop
Agree with Coop....we've seen it done .

faster than what most consider a reasonable landing speed

watermelonman said:
regarded as a controlled crash

Coop said:
Nonsense.

Hah, sounds quite a bit like the same idea with different words.

Safe? Sure, I guess. Do I want it landing on my car? No. Myself or a loved one? Heck no.

Of course one could say the same about a big bird under a huge and proper main. There is a good deal of subjectivity when it comes to recovery.

I disagree that we were saying the same thing, Watermelonman.

First, Hans, the OP, was talking about the Top Flight 6x60 streamer in a Painkiller Micro. I don't think that particular streamer in that particular rocket is going to bring it down slow enough for primary recovery and suggested a larger one if it could reasonably fit. Once I get done with this post, I'm going to dry off the trampoline, toss some work clothes in the wash (and towels; Nikki mentioned towels in my caffeine deprived state this morning), and get the dishes put away, I'm going to see what I can cram in a Painkiller Micro, compare it to my descent rates for ripstop nylon streamers to suggest a solution I would stand behind. I suspect Hans singled out that particular streamer because it can be found on Internet searches and is amongst the larger nylon streamers easily attainable--which, as the first post stated, was his intent: to recover under ripstop nylon streamer. I don't suspect Top Flight makes the size he will need, but that's okay--if he can't make one himself, I'll be happy to make one for him, but the first thing is to determine what'll fit, and what speed it will give him if used.

No one wants a HPR rocket landing on their car, themselves, or their family. I wouldn't want my kids struck by a Mini-Magg under chute on a nominal flight, and I'm not keen on having a rocket land on my car. That's not the question, issue, or point--that's a given: we protect those we love and the things in our lives that are important to us.

I've flown rockets using HPR motors and recovered them under streamer with landing speeds similar to --or slower than-- what the manufacturer's flat 'chute would do. Same end, different means. Tom saw one example of this (as did anyone else paying attention at Red Glare--and they had to be paying attention, because Niel didn't call a "heads up" flight). Aside from the 24" by 24' streamer the rocket descended under, it was a rather garden-variety woosh/pop flight. The suitability of a rocket to recover under streamer is its weight vs recovery compartment area. That is all. If a streamer large enough to recover reasonably can fit inside... have at it! To call this method a heads-up flight and set overly tight parameters for it to occur is unnecessary.

It can be done safely. That is my point. I'd not suggest a streamer too small anymore than I'd suggest an undersized parachute--unless you're talking strictly as an apogee event, which is a different set of parameters and calculations entirely. I'd be happy to do them for you, given a weight.

Later!

--Coop

Given average build techniques and weight PK Micro should recover well with a 12" x 12' or 15"x15' streamer. 15x15 is about all you can fit in there and still have room for the harness and the 6-grain motor. 18x18 MIGHT work... but it might also get stuck so I couldn't recommend it. 12x12 might be a smidge hot, if built on the heavy side. Therefore, I'd recommend a ripstop nylon streamer of 15"x15'.

Back to laundry. And my mower won't start. Gah.

Later!

--Coop

I've used a 12" x 12ft 2-mil Mylar streamer in a 38mm fiberglass rocket. It takes some care to pack it in there. Came down after 5 minutes from a 4000ft flight, not fast at all.

If the largest streamer that fits easily descends too fast, add a small parachute to the free end sized for the descent rate you need. This is known as a parastream. Parachute descent rate with the visability of the streamer.

Back