Holey Sphere

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian

Reaction score
For my Delta Gamma 9 I wanted a ping-pong ball for the nose, but couldn't find any in the shops except by buying an entire ping-pong set. What I did find was a pack of six training golf balls, pretty much the same as ping-pong balls with a lot of holes. One of them duly became Delta Gamma 9's nose. That left five more to play with.

The holes were about the right size to accept thin dowelling. One hole, enlarged, became large enough to accept a 13mm motor. With one end angled, the dowels were pushed in far enough to touch an empty 13mm motor, then secured in place with epoxy; they then act to keep a live motor in line. The result is the Holey Sphere. It goes up nicely on an A10-3T. :)

018holey_small.jpg

8344holey_launch_small.jpg

Cool. I have a six pack of wiffel balls. Same thing just bigger. The holes in them are just a smidge smaller than a bt5. Still dont know what Ill do with them. I thought about cutting them in half and stuffing the holes with 5s so as to have a rack of tubes and then... .I dont know...:confused2: :eyeroll:

That's a practice golf ball. I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

2011-08-02_18-10-02_90.jpg

2011-08-02_16-50-25_495.jpg
working on mine
Going to launch this afternoon
Cool project, thanks.

Flew it four times, adrian is right, A10-3's are great.
2011-08-03_16-37-27_644.jpg
Thanks

Oh, I think this may be an opportunity for an upscale! (kids toys make great rockets, pic below)

Hmm, but has anybody tried this with an...

inflatable ball? Like a beach ball?

Ha! It could be.......

'The Dude II' :rolleyes:

Or maybe 'The Fat Dude' ?

'Dude Ball' ?

Oh, no, I'm actually considering this.......inflatable?.....:blush:

DSCF4832.jpg

DSCF4833.jpg

Back