Hobby Lobby Exclusives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the first time since the baby arrived, I finally got out to get some launches in on a beautiful Saturday evening. Winds were pretty much dead calm, temperature was balmy for this time of year here, and I was able to get 10 flights in on four rockets. The ESAM got its maiden flight on a C6-3, and it went perfectly. I flew it twice more, once on another C6-3, and then I tried a "Super C" C5-3 for my first time ever, which also performed wonderfully. I'm very happy with this rocket, and I only wish I had taken advantage of the weather to bring the Vapor and Olympus for their maiden flights also.

Enjoy the video linked below!
Estes ESAM-58, C6-3 Full Flight
Requested access to the video.

Yes, a JLCR will fit in the Olympus and the Vapor. I fly one in a Star Orbiter (essentially the same as the Vapor save for having a 29mm motor mount rather than 24mm) regularly.
I kit bashed an Olympus. TTW fins, 1/8" plywood fins and centering rings. Kevlar shock cord at the motor mount. I built it like a tank, not so much because I want to put HP motors and go mach speed. It's more like want it to be super durable and take a beating. I wanted one rocket that could hit 500', 1,000' and 2,000' (D12, E12, F24-7W respectively). I want it to be my test bed for the JL chute release, AstroCam, and Altimeter2.

The only problem is with a 18" nylon chute, a 6" nomex chute protector, I'm really having concerns that the JLCR is in there too tight. I haven't launched it yet, but will soon.

So BEC, have how are you fitting your JLCR in there? What's your setup?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....18 inch nylon 'chute on a JLCR in a BT-60...yeah, that sounds like it might be difficult to bundle up on such a way as to come out easily enough when the time comes.

Suggestion #1 - get an 18 inch thin-mil 'chute from Top Flight Recovery (or an 18 inch Neon Sport 'Chute from Aerospace Specialty Products, which is made of a thin but springy plastic).

Suggestion #2 - keep experimenting with how you fold/roll your 'chute so that the resultant shape does slide in/out easily enough ("puff test" in the JLCR documentation).

I fly an 18 inch regular Estes plastic 'chute in the Star Orbiter. I currently have an ASP Neon Sport 'Chute in my Vagabond, which is another BT-60-based model that gets a JLCR in it when flown on Es and Fs.

I bought an ESAM last year and painted mine red with some black and silver accents. It flies on a B6 for really small fields. It gets plenty of velocity off of the rod but not much altitude. I don't remember if I've flown it on a C6 but that's what it really needs. I bought a Vapor recently and it will be built soon, I'm trying to decide whether to kit bash it or build it stock. I haven't studied to see how the Vapor might fly on a C11, it may have to use a minimum of D12.

My Star Orbiter went to 497 feet on a D12-5 when flown at Alamogordo, NM in 2017 (at NSL), so that's one datum. The Vapor is very similar but should be a tad lighter.

Just based on that one bit of info, I'd expect a Vapor on a C11, flown from a field much closer to sea level, would probably get 200-225 feet.

My Star Orbiter went to 497 feet on a D12-5 when flown at Alamogordo, NM in 2017 (at NSL), so that's one datum. The Vapor is very similar but should be a tad lighter.

Just based on that one bit of info, I'd expect a Vapor on a C11, flown from a field much closer to sea level, would probably get 200-225 feet.
Sounds right on a Vapor. 491 on a D12-5 and 975 on an E12-6.

Today was the 2nd flight on my. full size Vapor, it's a great rocket even at full price. I also launched my half sized Vapor (one body tube instead of both) and liked it even more. I'm glad Hobby Lobby sells Rockets and Motors.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....18 inch nylon 'chute on a JLCR in a BT-60...yeah, that sounds like it might be difficult to bundle up on such a way as to come out easily enough when the time comes.

Suggestion #1 - get an 18 inch thin-mil 'chute from Top Flight Recovery (or an 18 inch Neon Sport 'Chute from Aerospace Specialty Products, which is made of a thin but springy plastic).

Suggestion #2 - keep experimenting with how you fold/roll your 'chute so that the resultant shape does slide in/out easily enough ("puff test" in the JLCR documentation).

I fly an 18 inch regular Estes plastic 'chute in the Star Orbiter. I currently have an ASP Neon Sport 'Chute in my Vagabond, which is another BT-60-based model that gets a JLCR in it when flown on Es and Fs.
We’ll I pulled it off. The JLCR and chute came out fine and I got a good release at 300’. I used dog barf and sort of cupped the nomex instead of a burrito wrap. I also used the Dino chutes JLCR protector.

It was a snug fit but puff tested ok, so I went ahead with it. The body tube is a BT-65 so that gives it just a little more room than a 60.

I might try it with a stock plastic Estes chute to save room, but I’m wondering if the JLCR will hold a plastic chute good enough.

Today was the 2nd flight on my. full size Vapor, it's a great rocket even at full price. I also launched my half sized Vapor (one body tube instead of both) and liked it even more. I'm glad Hobby Lobby sells Rockets and Motors.
I have a Vapor kit waiting out in the garage waiting on me to decide how to build it. I haven't decided whether to build it stock or modify it, stock it would be too similar to my HiFlier XL. I think it's a good kit at the normal HL price. I also have another ESAM kit and a Cherokee E kit both bought at stock HL prices. The ESAM I will also modify because I already have one built stock. The Cherokee I will build much closer to stock, it will be launched on B and C motors and may never see a D because I have plenty of BT60 models with 24mm mounts that go plenty high for me on a D.

I might try it with a stock plastic Estes chute to save room, but I’m wondering if the JLCR will hold a plastic chute good enough.
My experience has been quite mixed for this case. The ASP Neon Sport ‘Chutes I mentioned before, besides being kind of “springy” are also not as slippery as Estes or similar plastic ‘chutes. But I haven’t used them enough with a Chute Release to have any real data to share.

Maybe I’ll make that a small research project for myself at Sod Blaster IV over Labor Day weekend.

I have a Vapor kit waiting out in the garage waiting on me to decide how to build it. I haven't decided whether to build it stock or modify it, stock it would be too similar to my HiFlier XL. I think it's a good kit at the normal HL price. I also have another ESAM kit and a Cherokee E kit both bought at stock HL prices. The ESAM I will also modify because I already have one built stock. The Cherokee I will build much closer to stock, it will be launched on B and C motors and may never see a D because I have plenty of BT60 models with 24mm mounts that go plenty high for me on a D.
Kit bash and make one cool rocket out of the kits. "Vaporesamcherokeee"

Back