Help me make a choice: Quest Space Shuttle or Semroc Space Shuttle?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleshooter

Reaction score
I'm returning (don't know if you can call me "Born Again" yet) to the hobby after 21 years. I have built some RC stuff and feel like my building skills are quite good.

I like both kits (Quest Space Shuttle & Semroc Space Shuttle). I believe the Semroc kit is designed for glide recovery of both "booster" and "glider."

Anybody offer any feedback on with kit is more preferable? Hell, I may buy both!

Quest looks like the glider is small, and Semroc has a small rocket/glider with a bigger glider(2 gliders).
Other than that, they both look pretty close to each other....

Semroc
--------
Quest

Just my personal opinion.
I would take a Semroc product over a Quest product anyday of the week.
I have my reasons,but Im not posting to bash anyone.
One thing I will add, S.A.M. club from Semroc. https://www.semroc.com/store/scripts/SAM.asp
You get 10% off orders,a free kit,name tag,decals,access to elite programs they have, access to SAM on YORF and other things.
Like this.......................
I got 50% off my order this month cuz I am a SAM. ( up to a limited amount)
Anywhoo- either way you go, your building and flying rockets..its all good.
Have Fun !!!!!!!!!

By the way, guys - I went and got both. :blush:

Working on the Semroc kit now - there's a lot of balsa to deal with. I was thinking I might use a little polyurethane to seal the leading and trailing edges.

How come I never hear of people using it? Too thick? It's definitely thinner than Elmer's Wood Filler.

I haven't tried polyurethane but I would expect it to work well.

Thin, slow epoxy and CA are both effective at sealing and hardening wood edges including balsa.

I haven't used it on wood, but a lot of the RC folks use it(the wbpu, thinned) for sealing the foam on scratch builds as a base layer before painting.

Frank

By the way, guys - I went and got both. :blush:

Working on the Semroc kit now - there's a lot of balsa to deal with. I was thinking I might use a little polyurethane to seal the leading and trailing edges.

How come I never hear of people using it? Too thick? It's definitely thinner than Elmer's Wood Filler.

Back