Has Estes customer service declined since Bill Stine left?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll chime in that the few times I've had to contact Customer Support, I think it was Scott that helped me out and everyone was on top of their game. Never had an issue with the people there.

So is the upshot of all this still YMMV ?
I think maybe some combination of process “improvement” and inevitable personnel turnover may be behind some of these negative experiences. Some of us remember the halcyon days of Mary Roberts and Christine Swartz. We may never see their like again.

So is the upshot of all this still YMMV ?
I think maybe some combination of process “improvement” and inevitable personnel turnover may be behind some of these negative experiences. Some of us remember the halcyon days of Mary Roberts and Christine Swartz. We may never see their like again.
I sent a direct email with my issue instead of using the website contact form. I got an almost immediate response, although it was automated. We'll see how long it takes to get my issue addressed.

Even if I get a quick resolution, there's still the issue of no one at Estes picking up the phone when you call them.

I sent a direct email with my issue instead of using the website contact form. I got an almost immediate response, although it was automated. We'll see how long it takes to get my issue addressed.

Even if I get a quick resolution, there's still the issue of no one at Estes picking up the phone when you call them.
I hear ya. That may be part of “process improvement” IDK. Get everything logged into the “system” automatically rather than ‘talk first, log later’.

That's not what I said. I said the CEO admitted to no rocket experience. Also Mallory Langford said that she has no rocket background, **unlike** the rest of her family. Watch the NARCON presentation. They both made it very clear. Heidi is the CEO, she was basically unable to figure out Zoom. Bob Sanford made repeated attempts to contact her, only briefly able to get a few little audio snippets. So Mallory did the interview,.

Hans.

Edit: Mistake... Heidi is the Vice President.
The issue with Heidi during the vNARCON 2024 Manufacts Forum was that she had a poor WiFi connection which kept dropping.
I don't know if Todd Schweim's comments to me were heard by the general audience but that's what Todd was telling me.

Mallory jumped in to make the presentation but she was on the East Coast so it was very late for her. I appreciate her doing that as should all who had tuned in.

Update:

Got a human response to my inquiry. They were not able to resolve my concern the way I hoped, but they at least explained what happened with my order. And more importantly, they addresed my concern and did so promptly, so I appreciate that.

Update: I was told only two people work in customer service and to use email instead of calling. So it was implied to me that getting a person to actually pick up the phone is a rare event.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious: If you need to get in touch with Estes, don't use their online contact form. Instead, email them directly ([email protected]).

Last summer, I had issues with them not returning my calls and emails. When they did finally respond, it felt like a 15 year old was running the desk. Since then, Denise and Scott have been very responsive.

We've had issues here with shipping F motors to Hawaii. In total, we have received three shipments out of six attempts. Each seems to have gotten to us in different ways. Scott's reply was that those responsible for sacking those who were responsible, have been sacked, or something like that. (Holy Grail reference)

Last summer, I had issues with them not returning my calls and emails. When they did finally respond, it felt like a 15 year old was running the desk. Since then, Denise and Scott have been very responsive.

We've had issues here with shipping F motors to Hawaii. In total, we have received three shipments out of six attempts. Each seems to have gotten to us in different ways. Scott's reply was that those responsible for sacking those who were responsible, have been sacked, or something like that. (Holy Grail reference)
Don't remember that Grail reference. All I know is "I fart in your general direction".

I just heard from Denise. They are sending replacements, but I got a very lengthy lecture that I was using the wrong motor for the rocket. Hmm... It was a single stage MultiRoc w/glider. I've launched it a dozen times in that configuration, it needs the short delay that I used. Oh well, not a big deal.

Hans.

The issue with Heidi during the vNARCON 2024 Manufacts Forum was that she had a poor WiFi connection which kept dropping.
I don't know if Todd Schweim's comments to me were heard by the general audience but that's what Todd was telling me.
I don't recall hearing that during her attempts to get Zoom to work. Maybe they need to sign up for Starlink at the Estes HQ building. :D

It's not the fastest thing out there all the time, but it does work (based on personal experience as we have had it for over a year and a half).

Wrote the about the fin marking guide from the Geo Sat, since I lost my place card, it was printed on. They not only emailed me the diagram, but other details as well. They were fast to send this info to me, even though it was an old kit. Pleased with them.

There's been a bad batch of D12-3's going around (lot #E22 0323 in case you were curious) and I was unlucky enough to have one of these cato in a scratch built rocket. As a BAR I am used to the old days when all you had to do was send the remains of the catoed motor back to Estes in a padded envelope with a note explaining what happened and you'd get a new pack of motors and maybe even a new rocket, no questions asked. I must add that any time Scott has been the one responding to my ticket on other motor failures, I have gotten quick and friendly service, however with my recent D12 disaster I took pictures of the motor and submitted them. Since the rocket was not an Estes kit and was charred beyond recognition I threw it away not even thinking to take pictures of it. Someone other than Scott handled my ticket, and acted like she would not honor the warranty since I did not have pictures of the rocket itself. She eventually did send me a pack of motors but scolded me that she would not honor such a request again. A week later a friend of mine had a D12-3 from the same lot number cato, and while they did replace her rocket and motors, it took several weeks. So I do think Estes customer service has slipped. By comparison, I had F44 cato a couple months ago and I merely sent pictures of the motor to Aerotech customer service and had replacements in my mailbox within a week.

i have no complaints about customer service, but sure have had a bunch of bad D11-3s. I’ve had 6 explosions. I haven’t had time to pit them all in MESS or even write Estes about them all, but for the time being, no D12-3 engines for me. I’m going to ask Estes to replace my unused ones as well.

In mid December I was looking for a replacement part for a Saturn V kit I had just acquired. Took a couple of weeks, and resending the email a couple of times to get a response, but I was able to buy my replacement parts. (A couple of the short tubes that were squished.)

A few days ago I submitted for a couple of E12 CATO's that happened last weekend. Got an automatic acknowledgment, but nothing since. Have to give them more time.

A couple of years ago their response was faster and generous (replacing engines and kits after CATO's). But I'm not panicking yet.

My impression is that the policies may not have changed, and they are trying, but it is taking longer. May have fewer people in that department.

And I prefer to send emails to [email protected], not the contact form.
Ok. Time for a major update.

Friday afternoon I got a couple of emails from Estes. The first was confirmation of Estes sending me a new pack of E12's, a new Big Daddy, and a parts assortment (from an education program they run). Then I got another through their system with an update from Scott at customer service apologizing for the delay. It was quite the surprise.

So that was a good response, and with the extra parts assortment, even more than necessary. I only wish it didn't take 2 full months, a bunch of emails, and a bunch of posts complaining about the experience. And the jaded part of me says that it only happened because someone at Estes saw my post yesterday.

Whatever the reason, I do appreciate the gesture. Does it change my mind or opinion? Maybe slightly. If they respond to others appropriately in less than 2 months, I can sing their praises again. But that will take a little time to rebuild a better track record. I sincerely hope they do.

For now, thanks Estes!

i have no complaints about customer service, but sure have had a bunch of bad D11-3s. I’ve had 6 explosions. I haven’t had time to pit them all in MESS or even write Estes about them all, but for the time being, no D12-3 engines for me. I’m going to ask Estes to replace my unused ones as well.
Was the date code E22 0323 on all of the ones that failed?

Back