Harpoon AGM-84A Model

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Milo, we have another need on the forum. Now you will have to supply the special characters required to show the pronunciation of a word.......

"schnikies"

Pronounced like "sh" + "nikes"
v. - to schnike, to be schniked, to have been schniked.
adv. - meaning OMG and other things.

Hope that helps, Dr. Don.

I know what schnikies is....

I have uncles and friends from up north which is where I've heard the term.

I gave you spell check already and nobody is using it. Now you want a dictionary. HA, don't hold your breath. ;)

BTW: the spell checker suggested Shiites in place of schnikies. hmmm... you wouldn't be Muslim would you be Ken?

you are one funny guy.... I'll kill you last.

Now, let's see.... where did I set my AK-47???

Dr Don...

I had two launches using an I211W for the Harpoon's maiden flights last Sunday. The first flight was perfect, but the second one had an early ejection. The nosecone tore off the cord and plummeted to the earth, yet was recovered after digging it out, with only scratches. The rocket, however, landed right on top of a tree, about 40 feet up. I have spent the last 4 days trying to retrieve it with no success.

Today I went out at lunch with Dave, a co-worker, and gave it another try. My mission was to launch another arrow over the lower branch it was now hung on, then get the rope down and re-tie it to the fishline and pull it up. It was VERY windy today, the Harpoon was swinging around like crazy, but not budging due to the parachute.

Well, I launched the arrow and it was a perfect shot, just over the branch at 45'. I had to work the arrow down to the ground, as it was blowing in the wind and swinging a lot, but eventually it made it to the ground. Next, Dave untied the far end of the rope and I untied the other end, then started pulling it back over the tree. We could see it was wrapped 2 or 3 times around the shock cord but was easily pulling back over.

Finally, the rope got stuck, so we gave it a few good yanks and..."POP" the rocket AND parachute came flying right out!!!

YEEEEEHAAAAA!!!! It landed about 6 feet off the ground as the chute got stuck on a limb jut in front of us on another tree, so I walked up and it yanked right off!!!

The HARPOON was home!!!!!!!!!!! Gawd, what a good feeling. The parachute still balooned in the wind when I got it down, which was a good sign, and after examining it, the chute was just fine! What a great day indeed and I gave a BIG thanks to Dave as it needed the body weight of two people to really get it down.

Thanks also to all who volunteered to help if I was unsuccessful today, especially Shane Hielman (Mr Mountain Climber) and Zack Green.

Signed,

A Happy Boy!

Let's see that is Rockets: 4 and Rocket eating trees: 0

Cool ... nice to see it back in the hanger.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

I believe that makes us Rockets 4, Trees 0 on a group-based score.

That's GREAT NEWS, Carl. Once again, sheer determination and persistence pays off.

I'm sure you'll have the zipper repaired in no time.

Hey, isn't it really Rockets: 3 Trees: 2?

Trees:
1) Mustang II slams into a tree.
2) Initiator lands somewhere in the neverending forest.

Rocket:
1) Mirage.
2) Ken's flyer.
3) Harpoon.

Are there any more?

A Member posted another save in your Mirage thread if I remember right. I was counting that one as well.

True, Mustang II and Initiator were lost. But we weren't keeping count then were we? :)

Well, the Harpoon is back at the Silo and on the workbench. The only damage was a cracked upper body tube, due to the early/bad ejection during the last launch. I cut the tube at the seam where the upper and lower body tube met. A sleeve was made from a coupler and it currently awaits a body tube piece, which I should get by next week. The paint job only received a few rub marks on the edges of some fins, with primer still underneath, so simply painting the fin edges of the model with a couple more coats of Krylon White Glossy Paint is all it will take for touch up.

I finished my research for photos of the real Harpoon and have begun making the scale decals...

...More to come

Here are the pics:

<a href="reviews/harpoon/r1.jpg">Recovery Shot<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/r2.jpg">Cracked Tubing Removed<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/r3.jpg">Ready for Body Tube<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/r4.jpg">Coupler Fit<br></a>

Top-notch job as usual, Mr. T.

I *knew* that you would have it repaired in short order.

When are you going to get back to work on your L3 bird?

Milo: OK, now I second your count. :) 4 to 0

Carl: Holy cow. That is isn't a crack, its a canyon. Was that quantum tube? Did it zipper or crack?

Phil,

It was Quantum tube and zippered due to early ejection, as previously mentioned and was a nice clean break. When you have a rocket traveling at a good rate of speed and a 2lb nose cone pops off, it's going to zipper. It stopped right where the top of the coupler was located and I also did remove about 1 foot of shock cord that was a bit frayed.

Ken,

This is the last rocket that remains in my Silo that needs work, minus what Santa brings, but those will wait. The L3 project is in order and I have been working on scale decals for it. I should be able to start on the L3 airframe right after the first of the year, as I have been continuously collecting small parts and supplies to get started, but that will be another post.

The Quantum tube I require for the fix will force me to buy a complete section, so I have decided to order it from PML as a 48" length and, while I am at it, I will have the lower 31" of it slotted for the Maverick, which is the next project on the board after the L3.

Carl

Well, I am waiting on a repair tube for the Harpoon, so in the meantime I decided to finish the scale decals. This is what I have for the Harpoon right now:

<a href="reviews/harpoon/decals.doc">Decal File<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/lettering.doc">Lettering File<br></a>

They are free for the taking for anyone who wants a copy. Please note that they have been sized for a 4" model, but can be shrunk for smaller models. I plan on printing them this week and applying them to the Harpoon once I finish painting the stripes and fixing the tube.

Cya all,

Carl

Yea, I know, I have WAY too much time on my hands, huh??? Well, now I can start on the L3 Amraam decals!:p

Well, as I patiently wait for my L3 parts from PML, which I was told will ship Friday, I finished touching up the lower part of the Harpoon. Fin tips were re-painted and the rocket received yet another coat of white. Then I painted the brown and blue stripes using Testors spray paint. Finally, I have spent the last three days working on the decals for the model and here are a couple of photos. The first is a "in-process" pic and the second is the final. Can't wait for my parts to get here so I can finish the upper 16"!

Carl

<a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/amraam/decal1.jpg" target="_blank">Decals In-Process</a>
<a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/amraam/decal2.jpg" target="_blank">Decals Completed</a>

I know it has been a while since I posted to this thread, but after finishing the Level 3 project, which caused the delay to the repairs of the Harpoon, I have finally finished repairs and decals.

Yesterday I cut the body tube I needed to the correct length, then glued the coupler in and mounted the new tube. Four coats of Krylon primer were added yesterday to both the BT and nosecone and this morning I wetsanded the body tube and nosecone, then applied 4 coats of Krylon Glossy White paint.

I painted the black stripe, but got it a bit wide and off, however it looks good but the scale is a tad off on it. Finally I finished by adding the remaining decals that had been cut and ready to apply for months that were sitting on my desk.

Well...I am happy with the results. It will receive clear dullcoat tomorrow but here is the final product. Now I can finish my review for EMRR.

There is a good comparison to the "real" one I modeled it after in one of the shots.

<a href="reviews/harpoon/f1.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 1<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f2.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 2<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f3.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 3<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f4.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 4<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f5.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 5<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f6.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 6<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f7.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 7<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f8.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 8<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f9.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon 9<br></a>
<a href="reviews/harpoon/f10.jpg">AGM-84 Harpoon Comparison<br></a>

Yes Carl, you truely are sick! Oh, and you missed a spot. :)

Nice work my friend.

Latest posts

Back