Harlan Ellison dead at age 84

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He wrote an episode of the Flying Nun - very disturbing!!!

He was one of the early greats. Not from the "Golden Age" of the 30's and 40's, but from the 60's and 70's when S/F really became respected for its vision and for being able to predict future advances, and for being able to make alot of money for TV and movies.

Rest in Peace Harlan and Ad Astra.

Last edited:
I went through a huge H.E. fixation a long time ago. Loved his writing, and still do. Great stuff.

Had the pleasure(?) of meeting him a couple times. It's funny...he's every bit as cantankerous and crotchety, but also warm and funny, as you would expect from his essays/commentary/writings, probably even more so. Strange and wonderful guy (but don't ever get on his bad side!). Angry Candy indeed!

It just so happens that fairly recently I've been contemplating selling off most/all of my collection of his books in an larger effort of personal downsizing. Haven't quite got around to it as part of me really doesn't want to. I actually have a LOT of stuff of his, including a fair number that are autographed and or limited editions. Most of it is regular everyday editions though. If anyone is interested 'round here, let me know.

RIP Harlan, thanks for the great work,
s6

I'm ashamed to admit this, but while I'm familiar with his name, I have no idea what any of his works are... Especially since I'm a pretty big sci-fi fan...

aw, you've probably seen the Joan Collins episode of Star Trek (City on the edge of forever) where 'bones goes back in time (1930's) and changes the timeline by saving her life. Harland wrote that episode.
Rex

The older you get, the more of your friends / heroes / relatives die. Sad.

Yeah, and he was one of the younger members of the Southern California Sorcerers. Not many of that crew left.

For all that he had a reputation as a scold and a curmudgeon, I think of the anthology Partners in Wonder, and how many really fine writers liked and/or admired Ellison well enough to collaborate (and split the pay check) with him on short stories. That's a legacy.

I’m not familiar with much of his stuff, except A Boy and His Dog. That was the first movie my brother took me to without our parents. It was also the first DVD I bought (at least a year before I owned a DVD player). :p

It just so happens that fairly recently I've been contemplating selling off most/all of my collection of his books in an larger effort of personal downsizing. Haven't quite got around to it as part of me really doesn't want to. I actually have a LOT of stuff of his, including a fair number that are autographed and or limited editions. Most of it is regular everyday editions though. If anyone is interested 'round here, let me know.

RIP indeed.IMG_20180701_155651.jpeg

Back