Halloween, Pumpkins, and Trunk or Treat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foose4string

Reaction score
Used to be, the kids were allowed to wear their costumes to school, have a little parade in the gymnasium, and generally observe the day. Apparently, this didn't set well with one or two of parents, and the school(or county board) was forced to make a decision. As a result, the kids are no longer allowed to wear their costumes to school. No big deal as far as I'm concerned, but something about the political correctness, and having a minority dictate what is acceptable, sort of irks me. This year was the very first year implementing the new rule.

In response, the school's parent teacher organization, Lion's Club, and local Fire Co. organized the first annual community event known as "Trunk or Treat". Last night, they used the town's fair ground as a meeting place and everyone was urged to decorate the trunk of their car, van, or truck bed(like a parade float, but on a smaller scale). Both kids and adults were invited to dress in costume, have the little parade of costumes at the fair grounds, and then have the kids go trick or treating from trunk to trunk. Prizes for best costumes and best trunk "theme" were awarded at the end of the evening.
I was very surprised by the turnout and the lengths that people went to for their decorations, and the effort to make this a great evening of family fun. It was a hit with everyone who attended, and I can foresee this getting bigger and bigger each year.

For some reason Jaime(wife) didn't get a picture of our "trunk", but I was very proud of the Pumpkin I carved for our display. I asked Jaime to take a picture of it when we got home. Inspired by the Great Pumpkin himself, Jim Flis, I came up with this design using Adobe Illustrator and began carving. This was the first time I ever tried carving a pumpkin using a pattern and pin technique. Also used some cheap wood carving tools which I bought in the craft isle at WM. I haven't had this much fun for Halloween in a looooong time. :)

Foose Pumpkin.jpg

Yes Craig there used to be a lot of really fun things we could do until the few were allowed have their way over the many.
Really sad. What schools, companies, courts and governments need to learn is to "Just Say NO!!" once in awhile.

BTW That is a very nice job on that Pumpkin.:D

:halloween:Happy Halloween!:halloween:

Sounds like fun, and nice jack-o-lantern! (I guess this is gonna prime the Flister :).)

very cool pumpkin! :) It's nice to see my technique spreading.

I've only done a few my self so far this season and they have all been logo pumpkins...

You can see two of them

HERE.

And HERE.

Hoping to get 2-3 more done this week :) I'll keep you folks posted!
jim

PS for those interested in seeing what I've done over the years you can check out my pumpkin photo albums by clicking this link.

Back