Goblin nose weight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I'm working on a Goblin and wondering if it needs the nose weight. I'm building it with 18mm mount, not 24mm. I have an Open Rocket file for it but I won't know the final weight or CG until it is finished. I can add nose weight then if it needs it, I'm just wondering if people have built it stock without nose weight.
When I bought the kit I had intentions of bashing it into another design but considering that it is somewhat iconic and appears to be discontinued I decided I would build it stock.

I took @K'Tesh's Goblin ORK file, installed a C6-5, and zeroed the ballast mass. Stability showed at 1.36 calibers. As long as you don't put too many layers of primer and paint on the fins, you'll probably be fine. Always swing test it before the first launch. I'd leave ballast installation until it's built. Check the c.g. position and mass and see what your .ork tells you.

I’ve flown mine primarily on 18mm motors and with those you don’t need the nose weight as long as you don’t get crazy with the glue, filling, priming and paint on the fins. It is required for the 24mm motors but you’re not using them so you should be ok

Check your CG once finished and adjust as needed.

If you're taking advice, I would build it with an extended 24mm motor mount for 95mm/3.75-inch motors. That can be as easy and cheap as leaving out the motor block and motor hook and installing the MMT to extend 1/4-inch out the back of the BT so there's something to tape to. Then build up thrust rings on the motors with masking tape and tape the OD of that to the OD of the MMT. Wait until it's fully built and painted, then use just enough clay to give 1.0 calibers stability with an E9-8. Swing test to be sure. Then use the plastic adaptors to launch with 18mm motors.

Last edited:
Some unsolicited advice about that Goblin nosecone, its weight, AND that wimpy little O attachment ring on the end of that nosecone.
DON'T trust it!
The weighted nosecone will get the end of whatever shock cord material and length of your choosing and that O ring will snap off.
Drill a hole through the bottom of the nose cone and loop your shock cord through the new hole and the one you shoved your clay thorough.
It will save you looking for a lost nosecone you may never find.

Back