G. Harry Stine Memorial Launch 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Despite all the trials and tribulations that the Superstition Spacemodeling Society has had these past few months, there will be a GHS launch on October 26th and 27th. For full details, see attached file.
Some highlights are:
Launch will be held under Tripoli Research rules with NAR members flying commercial motors per the new rule changes.
Saturday night launches.
Jack G. with What's Up Hobbies will support this launch.

Camping on the lake is permitted, but don't set up your campsite until we have the launch area set up. There will be a bunch of us meeting with Scott H. on Friday at noon to set up the launch area, so come on out and give a hand.

We will be holding this launch North of Kingman on BLM land. Red dry lake is approximately 30 miles North of Kingman on Stockton Hill road. This is the MARS site used by the Tripoli club in Kingman. Many thanks to Scott Hertell and Lawrence Southwick Jr. for putting this all together.

View attachment GHS Memorial Launch 2013.pdf

I will be there for sure! Side note: MARS has posted on Facebook that the FAA waiver is in place for this event, so we are good to go.

Thanks for the update Guy, I will look for the MARS facebook page.
Considering the response to this thread, there should be no waiting at the RSO table.....

Hey SoCal and Nevada. This is pretty close for Y'all. Hope you guys come out. We'll be at approx 3,300 ft, so the weather should be nice! it's in the 80's in PHX tight now, so we are hoping for 70-75* weather at Red Lake! Potluck on Sat night. Any of you Cigar smokers, we have a Cigar group too.

Just got back from the final build session for the 10" V-2. Looks like this rocket will be ready for it's first flight on a 75mm "M" motor next weekend. I am finishing up my 4" Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator this week, and it will also be a first flight. Sharon and I will both have our 3" Darkstars, along with her Wild Thang and my Darkstar Jr.
For the night launch I'm flying the Warp Core Breach on a J520 Skidmark, and Sharon has her Jart.
So post up what you are flying, the more the merrier!

Just got back from the final build session for the 10" V-2. Looks like this rocket will be ready for it's first flight on a 75mm "M" motor next weekend. I am finishing up my 4" Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator this week, and it will also be a first flight. Sharon and I will both have our 3" Darkstars, along with her Wild Thang and my Darkstar Jr.
For the night launch I'm flying the Warp Core Breach on a J520 Skidmark, and Sharon has her Jart.
So post up what you are flying, the more the merrier!

When will you be flying the M?

Your answer may help me make up my mind on what time I want to leave.

Last edited:
Hey SoCal and Nevada. This is pretty close for Y'all. Hope you guys come out. We'll be at approx 3,300 ft, so the weather should be nice! it's in the 80's in PHX tight now, so we are hoping for 70-75* weather at Red Lake! Potluck on Sat night. Any of you Cigar smokers, we have a Cigar group too.

Not sure how I did not see this. It's a six hour drive... Pretty sure that's too far as I could not leave till Saturday AM. I have my 'exit' interview Friday... So leaving Friday won't work... tempting thought... Its a haul for sure.

Any SoCal Dudes going?

Not sure how I did not see this. It's a six hour drive... Pretty sure that's too far as I could not leave till Saturday AM. I have my 'exit' interview Friday... So leaving Friday won't work... tempting thought... Its a haul for sure.

Any SoCal Dudes going?

I cannot say anything about SoCal people flying.

But you should definitely come.

Saturday morning and we are all set up here on Red lake. What a great place for a rocket launch! Took a while to set up camp, but Comfort's condo is ready for action. Quite a crowd Friday night too, plenty of SSS folks to chat with last night. Definitely worth the trip, and we haven't flown any rockets yet!

What a great weekend!

Here are a few pics I got:

drag race between Juan and Sharon, sorry Juan!
drag-race-sm.jpg

Scott's EX-Hybrid
hybrid-ex-sm.jpg

Congrats to those that successfully cert'ed this weekend! And Thank You MARS for providing such an awesome place to fly!

What a great weekend!

Here are a few pics I got:

drag race between Juan and Sharon, sorry Juan!
View attachment 151305

And Thank You MARS for providing such an awesome place to fly!

Thanks for getting that picture, Guy. I just love that Wild Child. I did have a weight advantage but couldn't resist when Juan asked me "ya wanna drag race....?!"

Great shots Guy! In the second one, it looks like Scott is waving goodbye.
Sharon is catching up with work this morning and I'm unpacking, but later today we will download our cameras and post some pic's.
This launch was a most excellent event! Good weather until 1:20 pm when the wind picked up both days, the lake bed was smooth and not very dusty, great crowd and clear skies! I launched my 4" X-Celerator "Rapiditty" on a K515 Skidmark to 5183 ft. Got some great on board video that we will try to post up later. Flew the Warp Core breach on a J425 blue streak in the daylight to about 2500 ft. Lights stayed on through out the flight. The night flight on the J520 Skidmark was spectacular!
Sunday was Dark Matter and Dark Star day with flights on the 3" Darkstar/K456 DM and Darkstar Jr. on an I327 DM. Both good flights with easy recovery on the lake bed. We used my Jeep "Hyjak" for most of our recoveries.

Back